Heat Safety for Humans

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Jane

Heat Safety for Humans

Post by Jane » July 2nd, 2008, 9:51 pm

The recent posting by Grannyhiker on Heat and Dogs http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/vie ... ?f=7&t=195

reminded me of a write-up I did for the old site a couple years ago. I was able to locate it, and I feel us humans need to keep aware of heat and hydration often too!

Dealing with the Heat when Hiking

With the temps climbing (finally ; ), I wanted to pass along some information I gathered from a number of resources. Many of you I’m sure are well aware of this info, a review is always good, too. Any input, corrections, wisdom or experience would be greatly appreciated as well.

Heat Illnesses
Signs that someone is suffering From Heat Exhaustion:
o Skin is cold and pale , but coloring can vary
o Sweating
o Dizziness
o Fainting
o Weakness , restlessness
o Dilated pupils
o Nausea, vomiting
o Rapid and weak pulse caused by dehydration

Victims of heat exhaustion have a great fluid and salt deficit, which must be corrected. If they are showing signs of dizziness or weakness, get them to a cooler or shaded spot, and have them sit down or lie down to avoid injury. Loosen clothing, elevate the feet, and apply cool, wet cloths. Monitor their temperature, give them water (sipping), or particularly fluids containing salt, until they start showing signs of improvement (restored body fluids and normal urinary output).
Drugs such as aspirin should not be administered as they increase the bleeding tendency which is a common complication of heatstroke.
They should not resume vigorous physical activity the rest of that day, and may need to seek medical attention.

Heat Stroke (also called Sunstroke) is a more severe form of heat illness.

The onset is typically very rapid.
Heat Stroke Symptoms That Require Immediate Attention! :
o Mental function changes: confusion, irrational behavior, incoordination, sometimes convulsions, unconsciousness
o Body temperature that exceeds 103 degrees F (temperatures at this rate are considered life-threatening)
o Skin that is red, dry and hot to the touch
o Constricted pupils
o Decreased evidence of sweating
o Showing symptoms of shock brought on by low blood pressure
o Quickened pulse and respiratory rates
o Pounding headache

Move the victim to a cooler, shaded spot as rapidly as possible. Efforts to lower the body temperature should begin immediately! Suggestions: Loosen or remove clothing and fan skin to increase air circulation and evaporation. Cover extremities and trunk with cool, wet cloths. Immersion in cool (not icy) water. Ice-packs tend to make the blood vessels constrict and may actually delay cooling or cause cold injuries. If they are used, wrap in towels and apply with caution to the armpit, groin, and sides of neck. Massage limbs while cooling to propel circulation. Victim may need mouth-to-mouth resuscitation or O2 administered.
If the victim is experiencing one or more of the above symptoms, you should take them to or get medical emergency services immediately for treatment!
If the victim is still conscious and showing symptoms of heat stroke, try to give them at least one cup of cold water (sipping) every 15 minutes until medical services arrive.

How to Prevent Heat-Related Illnesses

o Acclimatization preparation when possible.
o Limit the amount of time spent in the heat, particularly when the temperatures reach 82 degrees F and higher. Be out at the times of day when the sun and heat are less intense.
o Use proper sunscreen (and apply an hour or so before exposure so that it can bond to the outer layer of skin, and then renew frequently. But in some cases, too much lotion may interfere with the body’s ability to cool itself by preventing perspiration from evaporating, so use good judgment.)
o Dress in light-weight and light-colored clothing .
o Keep well hydrated by taking frequent water breaks, and start drinking water before you begin your outing. (The body can lose about two quarts of water an hour on hot days).
o Wear good sunglasses, a brimmed hat, wet and cool the head and body with water often.
o Rest in the shade, ease up on strenuous activity.
o Appetite may diminish; keep a variety of appealing foods available.
o Carry some sodium and potassium-rich snacks, drinks and meals such as dried bananas, apricots, carrots, corn, raisins, chocolate, salty nuts and seeds, crackers, peanut butter, to replace your body’s lost electrolytes (which will also help reduce muscle cramps). A recipe to make your own electrolyte mix: For each liter of water, mix ½ teaspoon salt (sodium chloride), ½ teaspoon baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), ¼ teaspoon salt substitute (potassium chloride), and sugar or honey to taste. Alternate this drink with equal amounts of plain water.
o Do not drink caffeinated beverages or alcohol as they increase water loss through urination.
o Higher risk persons: being over 50, obese, fatigued, not in condition or acclimatized to heat, recent illness, cardiovascular conditions, diabetes, use of antihistamines, amphetamines, or any dehydrating drugs.

Even if acclimatized to the heat, one needs to know and recognize the hazards, and the symptons of heat illness. With knowledge, preparation, fluid replacement and appropriate care, heat casualties in warm weather activities can be avoided. Be smart and careful out there!

Resources:
Medicine for Mountaineering (Third Edition) edited by James A. Wilkerson M.D.
A Hikers Companion (12,000 Miles of Trail-Tested Wisdom) by Cindy Ross and Todd Gladfelter
Wilderness Emergency Care (training manual) by Steve Donlan
http://www.mercola.com

anna in boots

Re: Heat Safety for Humans

Post by anna in boots » July 3rd, 2008, 5:48 am

Thanks, Jane, that's very pertinent in this sudden summer. I, for one, suck at remembering to drink enough water but I'm getting better.

I ran a personal gardening and landscaping company back in Denver where no one is surprised if the mercury creeps above 110 and stays there for a few days. At the end of a long, sweaty work day, there was an actual salt ring at the waistband of my shorts. I salted all my food--even pizza!--but a doctor still prescribed salt tablets just to keep up. I had leg cramps all the time. My speech would slur when I hiked long hauls.

I learned that if you are the type who sweats quickly and easily, be happy, because you've got a great way to rid yourself of toxins rapidly. On the other hand, you are the first to lose salt and electrolytes, so get creative about refueling. I added a dash of protein powder with aminos and electrolytes to my drinking water--amazing results! My hiking endurance skyrocketed. Even in wintertime.

anna in boots
Last edited by anna in boots on July 3rd, 2008, 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current trip reports at All Thoughts Work™ Outdoors
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/

joerunner

Re: Heat Safety for Humans

Post by joerunner » July 3rd, 2008, 6:44 am

Thanks for the post. On Saturday my friend and I were on a all day trail run in the gorge. Towards the last part of the day my friend started showing signs of heat illness. He started with nausea and a little dizzyness then his skin got somewhat dry and clamy. We pretty much went from stream to stream stopping each time to lower his temp. We also slowed the pace considerably as we dropped in elevationt to the hotter area. He ended up ok but it could have been much worse.