Is there a trail from Vancouver Wa area to Eastern WA?

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Trillium2

Post by Trillium2 » July 17th, 2015, 1:49 pm

Hi there I was curious if anyone knows of any trail or logging roads that will take you across to Eastern Washington side if you start out in the SW Washington close to Vancouver area? Thanks for any help on this.

romann

Re: Is there a trail from Vancouver Wa area to Eastern WA?

Post by romann » July 17th, 2015, 2:18 pm

Here a bits I know of, don't trust me too much because I only visited there couple of times.

I recall it's possible to start east on this (paved? gravel?) trail along Lewis River, in the center of this map. Don't know if they allow night parking, but you probably can take a bus.

Go to Moulton Falls park, and I think you can connect to Tarbell Trail via Bells Mtn Trail, and take it over Bells and Larch Mtn to Silver Star. From Silver Star, go east on Bluff Mtn trail. After that, I think it would be quite a few miles on forest roads before you hit a new trail, but these roads hardly get any traffic so it will be quiet walking.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 17th, 2015, 2:22 pm

http://chinooktrails.org/

Chinook Trail goes from Vancouver to Maryhill, but it's more of a concept than an actual trail

website as specifics on some actual trails

renegadepilgrim

Post by renegadepilgrim » July 18th, 2015, 11:48 am

Is it still a concept if 5 people have thru-hiked it?

The Chinook Trail is still in development in many ways, but it was first thru-hiked last summer and I think it's going to see a lot more interest in the future, especially if you are looking for less people and a unique thru hike experience.
Travel and Outdoor Adventure Website: http://www.renegadepilgrim.com
Instagram/Tumblr/Twitter: renegadepilgrim

K.Wagner

Post by K.Wagner » July 18th, 2015, 7:39 pm

George McClellan (of Civil War fame) tried to do it in 1854, but failed in a big way, and he didn't even have to deal with the huge Yakama Indian Reservation. Read his story here:
George McClellan story
Kelly
There is no shortcut to anyplace worth going to.

PM me about the soon to be released:
Skamania 231
"How to really get off the beaten path in Skamania County"

Trillium2

Post by Trillium2 » July 21st, 2015, 9:10 am

Thank you all for your responses. So it sounds like the Chinook Trail is a way to go as far as Maryhill. I checked with other sources and didn't find any more helpful info either. It would be great if there was another way across to the east side by foot : )

@ Romann I tried to follow you instructions on a map but wasn't able to do that entirely. Some of these trails I couldn't see how they connected either. I also couldn't see how it would get me to the east side of the state.

miah66

Post by miah66 » July 21st, 2015, 9:23 am

I would contact Whitney LaRuffa from ALDHA West. He has hiked the Chinook Trail and other long distance hiking trails. He might be able to help you or put in contact with someone who can.
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

romann

Post by romann » July 21st, 2015, 5:59 pm

Trillium2 wrote: @ Romann I tried to follow you instructions on a map but wasn't able to do that entirely. Some of these trails I couldn't see how they connected either. I also couldn't see how it would get me to the east side of the state.
There's no continuous trail until/if Chinook Trail is completed, I only described where to start on trails from Vancouver (seems to be the only option?) to get to National Forest lands. For now, the hike you plan is partly on trails, partly - and that's a big part - on forest service roads.

The best advise is indeed find & contact the people who already did this hike. I wish Chinook Trails web page had a better map, the reason they don't probably means there's no "formal" agreed-upon route yet.

Rather B Hiking

Post by Rather B Hiking » July 22nd, 2015, 7:11 pm

K.Wagner wrote:George McClellan (of Civil War fame) tried to do it in 1854, but failed in a big way, and he didn't even have to deal with the huge Yakama Indian Reservation. Read his story here:
George McClellan story
Very interesting article. I always wondered if McClellan Peak, McClellan Butte, McClellan Falls, etc. were named after THAT McClellan. It seems that quite a few West Point graduates came out to the PNW between the Mexican War and the Civil War.

miah66

Post by miah66 » July 23rd, 2015, 6:38 am

Rather B Hiking wrote: It seems that quite a few West Point graduates came out to the PNW between the Mexican War and the Civil War.
President: "General, it seems these natives are getting restless. I need you to send your best man out there and show them we mean business!"

General: "Yes Mr. President. I have one of our finest young soldiers in mind"
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider