Jefferson Park Changes 2016

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
kelkev

Jefferson Park Changes 2016

Post by kelkev » July 13th, 2015, 4:18 am

I hiked Jefferson Park via the Whitewater Trail yesterday, and noted a large sign at trailhead proclaiming "Beginning in 2016, reservations will be required for camping at Jefferson Park via recreation.gov." Which means a fee of $6 or $9, plus the NW Forest Pass.

Just a heads up, I have a feeling that there's going to be a lot of folks who won't know about this change next year until they show up at the trailhead. Enforcing this at the park is surely going to require a dedicated ranger on busy weekends. I'm guessing that limited entry permits for day use may not be too far off in the distant future.

Also, flowers were past their prime (but still some around Russell Lake and it's outlet) but best of all, NO mosquitoes! Can't believe I'm typing this for a trip to Jeff Park in early July, but....

Kevin
Attachments
P7120445 (1024x743).jpg
"Going to the mountains is going home."
— John Muir

justpeachy

Re: Jefferson Park Changes 2016

Post by justpeachy » July 13th, 2015, 5:23 am

I figured this kind of thing would happen sooner or later, although farming it out to Recreation.gov is something I didn't see coming. I've never heard of reserving trail permits through them. Did the sign give specifics, like how far out people will be allowed to "reserve" their time in Jefferson Park?

I can't find anything on the Willamette National Forest's website (big surprise).

CampinCarl

Post by CampinCarl » July 13th, 2015, 6:39 am

I'm guessing that it will be similar to Pamelia Lake... a specific area will be designated where the permit will apply for camping. Not sure if they'll limit day use as well like they are currently doing at Pamelia Lake.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/willamett ... rdb5358688

Recreation.gov link for Pamelia Lake:

http://www.recreation.gov/wildernessAre ... kId=111433

Ok, get ready for the whine-fest to commence ;) :x :shock: :roll:

mandrake

Post by mandrake » July 13th, 2015, 6:48 am

Probably a good move as the area is getting overrun through popularity. Likely day hiking sans permit will still be allowed. There are already a number of areas (ex: The Enchantments, Mt. Margaret backcountry) that do backcountry camp permits through rec.gov.

miah66

Post by miah66 » July 13th, 2015, 7:04 am

I'm all for this move, as plenty of people have been ignoring the "camp in designated spots only" and make illegal sites. Also, lots of illegal fires have been burning up there. It's plenty easy to dayhike to this area, and there are camping options away from the lakes so I don't think it's going to change much, other than perhaps helping to preserve this fragile area somewhat.
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

mattisnotfrench

Post by mattisnotfrench » July 13th, 2015, 7:27 am

It's about time. I about blew a gasket on a trip there last year when I saw this:

It's long since time they started limiting entry into the area as it's being overrun by people who have no clue how to practice leave-no-trace wilderness ethics. It's only getting worse, too. When I ran into a Wilderness ranger last year at the Russell Creek crossing after visiting Jefferson Park we talked and he mentioned to me they were considering moving to a permit system. Good on them for following through.

It's still possible to find solitude in Jefferson Park if you know where to look. This will only improve that.
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » July 13th, 2015, 7:39 am

mandrake wrote:There are already a number of areas (ex: The Enchantments, Mt. Margaret backcountry) that do backcountry camp permits through rec.gov.
I had no idea! Guess I've been living under a rock.

I have mixed feelings about permits. I don't like the idea of being shut out of a place I want to go because I wasn't one of the lucky ones to get a permit. On the other hand, I adore Jefferson Park and the abuse it's seen in recent years is heartbreaking. So in that sense I'm glad to see a limited-entry system put into place.

slorimer3

Post by slorimer3 » July 13th, 2015, 7:55 am

I was up there this weekend, and happened to get a chance to speak with the Ranger. At this time, the plan is only to restrict camping to a permit system, not general entry for day hiking. It won't be like Pamelia Lake.
Jeff park has been ravaged by illegal camp sites and use trails. I'll be sad to not go there on a weekend whim next year, but understand that the area will only continue to deteriorate if things don't change. In the future, I'd like to see them put in composting toilets at the lakes, like they have at the Mt Margaret backcountry.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 13th, 2015, 7:57 am

Another thing would be to make designated campsites. With a side trail going to it and flat area for tent.

"Build it and they will come"

Koda

Post by Koda » July 13th, 2015, 8:01 am

slorimer3 wrote:Jeff park has been ravaged by illegal camp sites and use trails.
forgive my ignorance, what are illegal camp sites at Jeff Park?

its been a few years, the last time I stayed there we camped off trail away from the major lakes (which were crowded) and had a great spot. Is that illegal now? ...or will that be illegal once the permits kick in?
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2