Need a good camping spot for 20 Boy Scouts

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
lamanite

Need a good camping spot for 20 Boy Scouts

Post by lamanite » July 12th, 2015, 11:19 am

Hi all - I'm new to this board (found it from nwhikers.net forums) and hoping some locals can help me out - in 2 weeks our Boy Scout troop from Tacoma is going to be doing a 3-day rafting trip out of Maupin. Afterwards we need to find a good hike/camp spot for a couple of days but I'm not familiar with the area. I'm hoping we can find something with a good 2-4 mile hike in (we'll likely arrive Wednesday afternoon/night) and camping at a lake or similar destination. We'll be heading back to Tacoma from Maupin so I was hoping to find something along the way, maybe in Mt Hood area or we could cross the Columbia and go through Mt Adams area. We're also hoping to find something that won't be crowded with other groups so we can maintain our group dynamic and do some training. Does anyone have any ideas of hikes/camping spots I should be looking into? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Aimless

Re: Need a good camping spot for 20 Boy Scouts

Post by Aimless » July 12th, 2015, 11:46 am

I am sure you already know this, but designated wilderness areas do not allow a party of 20 to travel or camp together. Groups size is restricted to a maximum of 12. If you decide to split up your group to avoid this restriction, as I recall the rule is that the smaller groups must remain a minimum of a half mile from one another at all times, both while hiking and camping. This probably rules out designated wilderness areas for your group.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 12th, 2015, 12:25 pm

there are BLM campgrounds along the Deschutes River, downstream from Maupin. Not real busy so you should be able to find something mid week. There's a road between Maupin and Sherar's bridge, and then a gravel road for maybe 12 miles below that. Not really what you asked for but...

lamanite

Post by lamanite » July 12th, 2015, 12:29 pm

The troop is actually made up of 2 groups and we have considered that we may have to split them up and do 2 separate trainings. It would be nice if we could end up on the same lake/campground though

drm

Post by drm » July 12th, 2015, 2:41 pm

The group campsite at Beacon Rock State Park would do. No lake but plenty of room in your own grassy area and hiking of all types nearby.

Water

Post by Water » July 12th, 2015, 9:39 pm

the BLM campgrounds which you will see along the length of your deschutes raft trip (well the upper part at least, unless you go in at Mack's canyon) will probably be nearly empty and will easily accomodate your group size. no water, pit toilets. little shade. much heat. but functional otherwise.

you could go hike at white river falls I believe--county or state land, no wilderness restrictions and I bet you could round up 3 miles of hiking total.
Feel Free to Feel Free

lamanite

Post by lamanite » July 12th, 2015, 9:45 pm

We will definitely be utilizing the BLM campgrounds along the river during our rafting trip but it was my understanding that those campsites were only accessible from the river. The logistics of our trip look like this:

M-W - Guided rafting trip down the Deschutes with camping on Monday and Tuesday along the river

Wed we pull out and need to find a different place to hike/camp for Wed (night, Thurs, Fri)

funhog

Post by funhog » July 12th, 2015, 10:45 pm

How about Battleground Lake State Park? If it isn't already booked, there's a large group tenting area, a lake and trails. Wherever you end up be sure to check fire restrictions. Most area national forests and many state parks have banned campfires entirely this year.

greenjello85

Post by greenjello85 » July 12th, 2015, 11:19 pm

Depending on your mode of transportation, there are several good sized lakes within 4 miles of frazier turnaround trailhead. The road to get there is very rough though. It would passable with passenger vans but you'd need to take it very slowly for the last 4 miles. This is within a wilderness area so the group would need to split into two. Search for serene lake. There are two lakes closer to th as well.

Also pansy lake in bull of the woods wilderness might be a good option. The road there is better, it's an easy 2 mile hike and there are large open campsites that are off the main trail a bit.

funhog

Post by funhog » July 13th, 2015, 1:28 am

It also just dawned on me that your group may be too large to meet the boating regulations on the Lower Deschutes! Sections 1, 3 and 4 only allow 16 people in a group. Section 2 from the locked gate to Sandy Beach is the only one that allows groups of up to 24. This is the area usually visited by day trippers.