Cougar Kit missing it's Mum :^(

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Guy

Cougar Kit missing it's Mum :^(

Post by Guy » May 24th, 2015, 6:54 pm

We past a Cougar or Babcat Kitten on the Tanner Butte Trail today just above the old road. At first a thought it's Mum was just off the trail but since posting the pic on Facebook it seems that it's been there since yesterday.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Portlan ... up_comment

Does anyone know of an agency that can help in cases like this. I'd go back tomorrow for it if there was somewhere to take it but I don't even know if picking it up & bringing it out would be legal.

Fingers crossed for a happy ending.

hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

metrognome

Re: Cougar Kit missing it's Mum :^(

Post by metrognome » May 24th, 2015, 7:06 pm

We passed this little guy today too, at about 2:30 pm. Another hiker we talked to said he'd heard someone say that he'd been there since Friday afternoon :(

I called the Portland Audubon Society and they said that they would try to track down a licensed wildlife rehab person to go check on him. I gave them all the info I had but I have no way of knowing if he's been cared for yet. Crossing my fingers they call me back at some point with good news.

Thanks for reaching out on social media!

Limey

Post by Limey » May 24th, 2015, 7:37 pm

Poor little thing. You might try calling Rowena Wildlife Rescue. Dr. Jean Cypher runs it. She would probably be happy to take it in. I would go get it but I'm not in good enough shape to do Tanner Butte Trail. Anyway, I used to work with Jean at a vet clinic. Her number is 541-478-2584. Good luck. It is probably very hungry by now.

Guy

Post by Guy » May 24th, 2015, 7:45 pm

Limey wrote:Poor little thing. You might try calling Rowena Wildlife Rescue. Dr. Jean Cypher runs it. She would probably be happy to take it in. I would go get it but I'm not in good enough shape to do Tanner Butte Trail. Anyway, I used to work with Jean at a vet clinic. Her number is 541-478-2584. Good luck. It is probably very hungry by now.
Thanks Limey,

I'll call in the morning & hope someone is there.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » May 24th, 2015, 7:56 pm

I would expect Oregon State Police non-emergency line

From ODFW http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/viewing/FAQs.asp
"What should you do if you see a sick or injured animal?
Call ODFW, OSP or a licensed wildlife rehabilitator before picking up or moving any wildlife."

http://www.oregon.gov/OSP/pages/offices.aspx
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Koda

Post by Koda » May 24th, 2015, 9:02 pm

Now that’s the cutest kitten I've ever seen...

I am wondering that since its been seen in the same location over a few days that its mom abandoned it or something happened to the mother? If it isnt ready to leave the mom and the mom is no longer available it needs to be cared for, it doesn’t look (or act) old enough to survive on its own.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

texasbb

Post by texasbb » May 24th, 2015, 9:47 pm

Why interfere? It's not like this doesn't happen All The Time. Just because this one happens to be on a trail...?

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » May 24th, 2015, 9:53 pm

texasbb wrote:Why interfere? It's not like this doesn't happen All The Time. Just because this one happens to be on a trail...?
Interesting point, but there's also a fairly reasonable chance that someone already did 'interfere' somehow and that's why the mother is not around.

Koda

Post by Koda » May 24th, 2015, 10:11 pm

pdxgene wrote:
texasbb wrote:Why interfere? It's not like this doesn't happen All The Time. Just because this one happens to be on a trail...?
Interesting point, but there's also a fairly reasonable chance that someone already did 'interfere' somehow and that's why the mother is not around.
Its also worth noting that once abandoned or separated, a newborn most always dies in the wild. It wont last long if there is a pack of coyotes in the area...
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » May 25th, 2015, 12:05 am

I posted over on the Facebook page, but I'll repeat it here.
I just contacted a friend of mine who may be able to help but most agencies will opt for letting nature take its course unless people or property are in danger. If this guy is abandoned, then people aren't in danger. If mum is around then that might be a different story and we won't be needing a rescue anyway.
The main issue beyond the ethical discussion of letting nature take its course is that it's in a busy area.

The busy area only means that people will get involved where otherwise nature would handle it (whichever the outcome) or enough people will get involved that someone has to rescue it before it blows up like the two eagles 'stuck' in a tree last year in SE Portland.

Having said all that, I did contact someone who will likely be able to help directly or find someone who either can, is allowed to, or is willing to rescue it.
- Michael