Mt Jefferson Wilderness

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
1oregonhiker

Mt Jefferson Wilderness

Post by 1oregonhiker » May 17th, 2009, 10:40 am

Hi Portland hikers, I just wanted to let everyone know that Mt Jefferson Wilderness is a good place to go hiking if you want get away from the gorge crowds. I to go to the gorge and It is beautiful. But the crowds sometimes, man. I go to jefferson wilderness quite often and have and have found solitude still extist. If interested in this area I have some photos posted at http://www.oregonhiker.webs.com/
Attachments
101_0580.JPG
Jefferson Park

mattisnotfrench

Re: Mt Jefferson Wilderness

Post by mattisnotfrench » May 17th, 2009, 5:48 pm

It's nice to see there are other enthusiasts of this area! The Jeff is probably my favorite place in Oregon. I grew up in Salem so we always went here first. Here you should all post some of your favorite Mt. Jefferson area hike destinations/trails. I'll go first:

Jefferson Park (all three trails in)
Park Ridge
Pamelia Lake/Grizzly Peak
Triangulation Peak
Canyon Creek Meadows

Of course, all five of these destinations get heavy crowds. Nothing like the Gorge (except for Pamelia Lake and the Whitewater Trail-wow!) but still crowds can be found. I'm looking forward to exploring some old trails and some less-traveled areas of the area this summer such as Adventure Ridge, South Cinder Peak and Table Lake. With so many great destinations in the area there's something for everyone!
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

kelkev

Post by kelkev » May 17th, 2009, 8:08 pm

Chalk up another Mt. Jeff Wilderness fan here - I grew up in McMinnville, and my family always opted for camping trips to the North Santiam River area above Detroit Reservoir/Idanha/Marion Forks and the Metolius River. Consequently, I spent a lot of time day hiking to Marion Lake, Pamelia Lake, Jeff Park, Carl Lake, Canyon Creek Meadows, etc. Like Matt, among my favorite hikes are Jeff Park, Pamelia Lake, and Triangulation Peak. I also love the Hunts Cove area, and Duffy, Santiam, and Mowich Lakes (Eight Lakes Basin) I am planning on exploring some lesser known areas this summer, including Minto Mountain and Lizard Ridge. There are remnants of an long-abandoned trail from Minto Meadows to Lizard Point, which sits above Bingham Basin. Probably a rough bushwhack, but should be fun to explore.

Welcome to the site, great pictures also!

Kevin
"Going to the mountains is going home."
— John Muir

David and Karen

Post by David and Karen » May 18th, 2009, 6:08 am

Speaking as an outsider it always amazes me how so few people feel Jefferson is 'destination worthy' and yet those that go (outsiders - not locals) absolutely love it.

Does it not photograph well or something? Jeff Park looks amazing but what's with the fascination with Pamelia Lake - of the two it seems odd that only the later requires permits.

Based on photos posted to the internet my #2 choice after Jeff Park is Shale Lake.

backcountryhunter

Post by backcountryhunter » May 18th, 2009, 11:13 pm

We hiked 11 miles into the "Park" two summers ago on a day hike. It was great but the road into Brietenbush lake was a killer. I think more people would visit the area if they fixed that road a little.

anna in boots

Post by anna in boots » May 19th, 2009, 6:14 am

David and Karen wrote:what's with the fascination with Pamelia Lake - of the two it seems odd that only the later requires permits.
I spoke to a Ranger up there once who said that Pamelia was crowded in the summer, hence the limiting permits. I'm guessing it's because Pamelia is so accessible and such an easy trek to such a cute lake with so many cozy camping spots. If it weren't for the enormous insects, I'd agree, but the last time I was there, I saw skeeters so legendary, they were trying to mate with helicopters.

Anna
Current trip reports at All Thoughts Work™ Outdoors
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/

mattisnotfrench

Post by mattisnotfrench » May 19th, 2009, 6:58 am

anna in boots wrote:
David and Karen wrote:what's with the fascination with Pamelia Lake - of the two it seems odd that only the later requires permits.
I spoke to a Ranger up there once who said that Pamelia was crowded in the summer, hence the limiting permits. I'm guessing it's because Pamelia is so accessible and such an easy trek to such a cute lake with so many cozy camping spots. If it weren't for the enormous insects, I'd agree, but the last time I was there, I saw skeeters so legendary, they were trying to mate with helicopters.

Anna
Bingo. It's 2 miles to Pamelia Lake. Whether or not it's the most beautiful destination in the area, the fact it's such a short hike means it attracts a huge crowd. It's Salem's version of Mirror Lake. It's a beautiful hike, though. The forest on the way to the lake is gorgeous and the lake itself is very pretty. Grizzly Peak makes a great dayhike. What an amazing view on top!
backcountryhunter wrote:We hiked 11 miles into the "Park" two summers ago on a day hike. It was great but the road into Brietenbush lake was a killer. I think more people would visit the area if they fixed that road a little.
I talked to a ranger who said there are no plans to fix that road. It's a terrible road. Fortunately there are two other ways to hike into Jefferson Park. There's the Whitewater Trail, one of the most popular trails anywhere in Oregon, and there's the South Breitenbush Trail, which sees few people and has great views and excellent wildflowers throughout the hike. That's my preferred way into Jefferson Park. Sure, it's a little longer than the other two ways but the access road is better than the PCT route and there are far less people than the Whitewater Trail.

I'm itching to check out Table Lake and Hole-In-The-Wall Park on the SE side of Jefferson. Has anyone here ever backpacked in that way?
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

David and Karen

Post by David and Karen » May 19th, 2009, 11:57 am

I'm itching to check out Table Lake and Hole-In-The-Wall Park on the SE side of Jefferson. Has anyone here ever backpacked in that way?
I Googled my heart out and I've never found anything about that area or the Warm Springs Reservation. You would think the natives would be able to cash in on that mountain like the Yakima Natives do with Bird Creek Meadows.

I'd be interested - despite the long journey Jefferson is the only one of the big Volcanoes I haven't become personally acquainted with yet (although I've owned a map for many years)

scrambler2

Post by scrambler2 » May 19th, 2009, 3:06 pm

Both Jeff Park and Pamelia Lake require limited entry wilderness permits.
anna in boots wrote:[I spoke to a Ranger up there once who said that Pamelia was crowded in the summer, hence the limiting permits. I'm guessing it's because Pamelia is so accessible and such an easy trek to such a cute lake with so many cozy camping spots. If it weren't for the enormous insects, I'd agree, but the last time I was there, I saw skeeters so legendary, they were trying to mate with helicopters.

Anna
Haha Anna, the legendary band of mosquitos, descended from the most feared of all, the Ollalie Lake clan. Jefferson can get really bad in the J months!
Its was overuse, not the proximity to the trailhead, that brought these restrictions. Too many people had camped to close to the lake, cleared a new campsite, chopped down trees, made new fire rings and generally destroyed the camping area on the lake's eastside. Sure its only 2 miles in but other areas deeper in the wilderness such as Jeff Park, Eight Lakes basin, and Hunt's Cove carry these same restrictions as well. These areas lie in designated wilderness and that means there should be no sign of man. These limited use regulations help preserve the wilderness experience and helps restore these overused areas.
PCT class of 2012

Martell

Post by Martell » May 19th, 2009, 3:30 pm

Both Jeff Park and Pamelia Lake require limited entry wilderness permits.
Jeff Park was still a self-issued permit last summer. Has this changed for 2009?
-Dan
Site Tech Helper