Volunteer Opportunities

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
MoonLee

Volunteer Opportunities

Post by MoonLee » February 17th, 2015, 12:41 pm

Hi All, I would like to start giving back by doing volunteer work on trails or camp sites. Does anyone recommend any local (near Portland) groups or meet-ups for this sort of thing? I have been using your site now for about a year and I love it. I recently joined as an official member. I'm also fairly new to the area and would love to meet some like-minded tree huggin folks.

MoonLee

Splintercat

Re: Volunteer Opportunities

Post by Splintercat » February 21st, 2015, 1:40 pm

Hey MoonLee, you came to the right spot! Trailkeepers of Oregon (TKO) is the host for this forum, and we organize monthly, meet-up style stewardship projects through most of the year. We're on a short winter hiatus at the moment (and focused on the upcoming Trail Skills College), but will resume our monthly projects this spring.

The best way to stay up-to-date on our projects is to join the e-mail list -- you can sign up here:

Contact TKO

You can also check out past projects to get an idea of the kind of work we've organized in the past. Most of our projects are one-day efforts where you simply meet at the trailhead, and we supply the tools and training needed to really have an impact on the trails. You'll also meet very cool people in the process, many from this forum. If you spend your days working in an office (like I do), it's the perfect antidote to spend a day swinging a shovel in the forest!

Tom :)