Re: Free days in Ridgefield NWR

Post by miah66 » February 25th, 2015, 6:17 pm

Wow awesome pics and stories! R 11 and Lumpy
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

greenjello85

Post by greenjello85 » February 25th, 2015, 10:29 pm

Lumpy wrote: A few years ago, a bald eagle swooped down and grabbed a small rabbit about forty feet in front of me in my "back yard". Didn't hear it come down or fly off, if I hadn't seen it it would have never happened. It was HUGE! :shock:
At North Fork reservoir in Estacada there is an osprey that picks off fish that are being reeled in :lol: Cracks me up every time!

R11

Post by R11 » February 26th, 2015, 12:54 pm

Lumpy wrote:A few years ago, a bald eagle swooped down and grabbed a small rabbit about forty feet in front of me in my "back yard". Didn't hear it come down or fly off, if I hadn't seen it it would have never happened. It was HUGE! :shock:
That would have been pretty cool to see :). No big bodies of water and lots of dense tree cover close to my yard so I'm not likely to see any eagles here. The largest bird I've seen come in was this small blue heron 4-5 years ago that startled the crap out of me when it came flapping up out of the little creek right in front of the window where I was on the computer and up over the house. It happened two days in a row and the second day I could hear that it actually landed on the roof so I went out and took a few pics, as it tucked itself up into a ball and took a nap on one leg:
DSC_0232SE crop.jpg
DSC_0236SEcrop.jpg
DSC_0235SEcrop.jpg

greenjello85 wrote:At North Fork reservoir in Estacada there is an osprey that picks off fish that are being reeled in :lol: Cracks me up every time!
Osprey are great! I remember the first time I saw some, diving for the land locked salmon in Hosmer Lake over near Mt Bachelor with my parents when I was a kid. There's a pair that nests on top of the large power tower down at Oaks Bottom every year, and for the first time I was lucky enough to see one fishing at a high alpine lake (Jade) a couple days in a row last fall up near Mt Daniel which was extra sweet.

ron

Lumpy

Post by Lumpy » February 26th, 2015, 2:19 pm

Some of the herons around here stalk mice and moles in the tall grass. Probably control some rodents better than the feral cats and coyotes.
"Why are you always chasing women?"
"I'll tell you as soon as I catch one!"