Mystery white object on Crown Point..?

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
mandrake

Re: Mystery white object on Crown Point..?

Post by mandrake » February 4th, 2015, 9:27 pm

Nice score on the loot there, Don! Can make some good money selling that stuff at used gear sales. :-)

I seem to remember some scary-looking tarps somewheres lower down in the gully. Had images of bodies getting tossed off from above, so didn't feel compelled to investigate too closely. :?

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » February 4th, 2015, 9:45 pm

Splintercat wrote:What an interesting mix! For the most part, these are all items that I can see getting whipped away by the a blast of wind... not sure about the picnic table, though... that might be the work of vandals. There must be hundreds of hats down there from unsuspecting tourists, right...?

Tom :lol:
Tom,

Yes, most items are consistent with what one would expect to be wind tossed. I agree on the picnic table - likely vandals.

Also, yes, more hats than I could take out. I concentrated on cans! This would be a great area for a group effort for litter pick up.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » February 4th, 2015, 9:48 pm

mandrake wrote:Nice score on the loot there, Don! Can make some good money selling that stuff at used gear sales. :-)

I seem to remember some scary-looking tarps somewheres lower down in the gully. Had images of bodies getting tossed off from above, so didn't feel compelled to investigate too closely. :?
I saw no tarps today but perhaps some farther down the slope? Lots more to explore there. As for loot, I hardly made a dent - there is a lot of good stuff but I just grabbed a few goodies and concentrated on trash for this trip.

I would not at all be surprised at bodies tossed down these cliffs over the years. I hope I never find one!

dn

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

raftingdog

Post by raftingdog » February 5th, 2015, 6:10 am

Crown Point with lights at night seen from I84.... looks like UFO landing base.... just saying

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » February 5th, 2015, 7:05 am

:lol:

I want to believe.

Tom :)

airoff

Post by airoff » February 7th, 2015, 7:35 pm

Don Nelsen wrote:Mystery object sent down the cliff today. The plan was to haul it up to the road but it was way too heavy. I hope I got the right one! It was a pickup bed cover. I was surprised to find no less than seven pickup bed covers in the ravine and one bed liner. I sent one other cover and the bed liner down the slope too. Hopefully to a location where they may be removable from below.

I ran out of time today so was not able to verify if said object is no longer visible from afar.

dn
In case you haven't been back out there, you definitely got it. It's finally gone! :D

Charley

Post by Charley » February 8th, 2015, 9:44 am

"Nice furry thing..." I wouldn't touch that, man. :)
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » February 8th, 2015, 2:04 pm

airoff wrote:
Don Nelsen wrote:Mystery object sent down the cliff today. The plan was to haul it up to the road but it was way too heavy. I hope I got the right one! It was a pickup bed cover. I was surprised to find no less than seven pickup bed covers in the ravine and one bed liner. I sent one other cover and the bed liner down the slope too. Hopefully to a location where they may be removable from below.

I ran out of time today so was not able to verify if said object is no longer visible from afar.

dn
In case you haven't been back out there, you definitely got it. It's finally gone! :D
Aaron,

Thanks for checking it out! Now we need a mission to go see where it ended up and see what else is down there.

The seven bed covers (BTW, I looked online and single piece hardtop bed covers like that were going for over $1,000/ea.) were all laying top up so the lip around the bottom side was snagged on rocks or dirt. Once I turned the two I moved over, they went down the gully on the slightly convex top surface like a rocket. I'll bet there are some more way down the hill that just happened to land top down so they continued down the hill unimpeded.

dn

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » February 8th, 2015, 2:05 pm

Charley wrote:"Nice furry thing..." I wouldn't touch that, man. :)
I used gloves!! :shock:

Charley

Post by Charley » February 8th, 2015, 5:58 pm

Don Nelsen wrote:
Charley wrote:"Nice furry thing..." I wouldn't touch that, man. :)
I used gloves!! :shock:
Oh, I'm very glad to hear that. ;)
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.