Lost Dog Mcintyre ridge north of douglas ridge trail

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
greenjello85

Lost Dog Mcintyre ridge north of douglas ridge trail

Post by greenjello85 » December 17th, 2014, 6:39 pm

I was hiking on the Mcintyre ridge trail up wildcat mountain road today and my dog went chasing after something and disappeared. I've hiked hundreds of miles without having an issue but he wouldn't stop. We searched for two hours but with dwindling daylight we had to head out.

His name is Huey. He's around 7 years old and is probably a husky/Shepard mix and is very sweet. He will probably be whining if he's found.

He was last seen heading out onto the ridge point where the cross hair is on this screen shot. I'm not sure which side of the ridge he went down. I'm hoping he'll head north going down towards brightwood.

I'll be searching again tomorrow morning but if anyone lives in that area and happens to see him please call Dan REMOVED. Thank you.
Last edited by greenjello85 on January 2nd, 2015, 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grannyhiker

Re: Lost Dog Mcintyre ridge north of douglas ridge trail

Post by Grannyhiker » December 17th, 2014, 6:55 pm

Leave something with your scent on it on the trail at the point he left you. Maybe also one in the parking lot. He's apt to return to where he left you and wlll zero in on something that smells like you.

Hopeful thoughts and prayers that you find him!

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » December 17th, 2014, 8:38 pm

sorry to hear that greenjello :cry: Keep looking and keep up hope. There was a story here on PH not long ago of a few dogs that were lost up Eagle Creek, and they were found by some hikers a week or so later and reunited with their owner.

Some flyers with his picture posted in the area might help too. My thoughts are with you and Huey!

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » December 17th, 2014, 10:32 pm

Hope you find him!! :(
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

BigBadWolf

Post by BigBadWolf » December 18th, 2014, 4:15 am

I will let all of my friends know. Some of them hike there regularly so I will warn them to keep eyes and ears opened. I will let you know if I hear something. I will keep you and Huey in my thoughts. I have two dogs so I know what you feel.

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » December 18th, 2014, 7:25 am

That is really sad. He looks a lot like a dog I used to have. He was the best dog ever!

I really hope you find him.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » December 18th, 2014, 9:36 am

I remembered that you recently (well, a few months ago) introduced Huey on the "Dogs of Portland Hikers" thread. There are more good photos of him there: http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/vie ... &start=360

As I posted earlier, grab some of your dirty Tshirts out of your laundry and take them up with you! Of course put up posters, notify Animal Control in the appropriate counties, notify USFS and law enforcement…. If he has a microchip, notify those people, too.

Huey is in my prayers!

obera

Post by obera » December 18th, 2014, 10:49 am

What a precious hiking buddy - I hope you find him quickly!
oh-beer-ah

greenjello85

Post by greenjello85 » December 18th, 2014, 6:55 pm

Thank you all. I wasnt able to find him today. I hiked from the gravel pit to wildcat mountain and back up to the mcintyre trailhead. I searched all around the knob he disappeared from but found no signs and he didn't call out at all. I left some worn clothes and put up posters at trailheads. I placed some ads, notified Clackamas dog services. I'm going to keep going up and hopefully he'll turn up eventually.
Dan

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark » December 18th, 2014, 7:30 pm

that's heartbreaking - I feel for how you must feel. I have had 2 dogs disappear in the woods but they both came back - one returned to where I was parked after a few hours - the other chased something into the woods near the summit of Nesmith in a heavy snow - I hung around calling him for 4 hours then started out - he caught me halfway to the trail head. I hope , and have a feeling - he will turn up okay.
Joy in the universe, and keen curiosity about it all - that has been my religion.
- John Burroughs