Anyone see the aurora?

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
p11

Re: Anyone see the aurora?

Post by p11 » September 15th, 2014, 11:37 am

On the East coast, they took pictures from Mt. Washington.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf69enj ... PLsf_n3wlg

n.bumppo

Post by n.bumppo » September 15th, 2014, 1:13 pm

R11 wrote:
n.bumppo wrote:
20140912_Night Sky_5.jpg
I spoke too soon. When I posted my first response I had not yet processed my photos. While I was at the view point I had not seen any sign of the Northern Lights in the sky, nor had I seen anything on the camera LCD. However, when I processed my photos just now I noticed that small bit of the aurora in the upper left corner. Woohoo.
You sure that might not be a minor bit of momentary lens flare perhaps? It kinda looks like it lines right up with the lights from the photogs...

ron
I am sure the green in the upper left is not lens flare. The feature includes yellow light rays in a conical shape along with the green flare. The overall shape is like an outline of a yellow cone with a green scope of ice cream on top. It's easier to see in the hires original picture than in the lower res image I posted.
Dave

mjirving

Post by mjirving » September 16th, 2014, 11:26 am

Nothing seen from the summit of South Sister from talking with people coming down from staying the night as I was going up.

GoalTech/Mike

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 16th, 2014, 11:29 am

I saw Aurora from Jasper National Park in Canada once, and it was sort of like your picture, just a general glow, not the streamers and stuff you see pictures of.

greenjello85

Post by greenjello85 » September 16th, 2014, 11:30 am

n.bumppo wrote:
20140912_Night Sky_5.jpg
I spoke too soon. When I posted my first response I had not yet processed my photos. While I was at the view point I had not seen any sign of the Northern Lights in the sky, nor had I seen anything on the camera LCD. However, when I processed my photos just now I noticed that small bit of the aurora in the upper left corner. Woohoo.
Nice picture! Bummed I missed this

R11

Post by R11 » September 16th, 2014, 1:05 pm

n.bumppo wrote:I am sure the green in the upper left is not lens flare. The feature includes yellow light rays in a conical shape along with the green flare. The overall shape is like an outline of a yellow cone with a green scope of ice cream on top. It's easier to see in the hires original picture than in the lower res image I posted.
The lines show up great Dave. They're actually what makes it look more like a flare/refraction artifact. See how the symmetrical cone/green half circle spot lines right up, and equidistant from the center of the frame, with the light source:
flare.jpg
Here's a different example:
no line.jpg
lined up.jpg
And another:
noline2.jpg
lined up2.jpg
http://
http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread551090/pg3

And just for the fun of it, here's one showing up in a photo of the aurora even:
noline3.jpg
linedup3.jpg
Different lens/camera/light source can create different looking (shape/color) artifacts and if you look close on the middle example you can actually see a couple of small "spindle" flares to the right of the large one that looks totally different. I'm guessing the long exposure may have something to do with the way it shows up possibly as well?

And as you posted earlier, the models showed the aurora well to the east/north from the NW by Friday evening at any rate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heDrDn8vBVc

ron

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » September 18th, 2014, 11:14 am

n.bumppo wrote:
R11 wrote:
n.bumppo wrote:
20140912_Night Sky_5.jpg
You sure that might not be a minor bit of momentary lens flare perhaps? It kinda looks like it lines right up with the lights from the photogs...

ron
I am sure the green in the upper left is not lens flare. The feature includes yellow light rays in a conical shape along with the green flare. The overall shape is like an outline of a yellow cone with a green scope of ice cream on top. It's easier to see in the hires original picture than in the lower res image I posted.
I agree with Ron. In the PNW. Typically the northern lights appear near the horizon either as a faint glow or a curtained or banded look. It would never be a spot or have a conical feature that high above the horizon. https://www.flickr.com/search?sort=rele ... washington

It's still a great shot of an adventure.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir