Heat and Dogs

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Grannyhiker

Heat and Dogs

Post by Grannyhiker » July 1st, 2008, 10:50 am

I recently ran into this thread on http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7967896. It's the account of a Seattle-area hiker who nearly lost her dog to hyperthermia (heat stroke/heat exhaustion) Sunday morning. Fortunately, the story has a happy ending thanks to the considerable efforts of fellow-hikers and friends.

While we can sweat to adjust our body heat to high temperatures, dogs can cool their bodies only through panting and through their paw pads. That is not enough on a hot day! If you must go hiking on a hot day, either leave your dog at home or pick a shady trail alongside a stream, stopping in the shade for water and rest every 20 minutes. Take a lot more water for both you and your dog than you normally do. Let the dog wade in the stream frequently. By 9-10 am on a day that's going to the upper 80's or 90's, it's usually getting too hot for the dog. Watch for lack of energy first (the first warning sign), then pale gums, and stop immediately for a _long_ rest (in the shade, with plenty of water) until your dog improves. Individual dogs, like individual people, do differ in their ability to adjust to the heat. Some dog breeds are more resistant to heat than others.

I'm told (by my local vet and my-daughter-the veterinarian) that clipping a long-haired dog actually does more harm than good. The long hair acts as insulation from all temperature changes--heat as well as cold.

shatchp

Re: Heat and Dogs

Post by shatchp » July 1st, 2008, 12:34 pm

Thanks for bringing this up...really important for dog owners. Heat stroke and exhaustion in your dog can sneak up on you quickly....and heat stroke can be fatal or do lasting damage to your dog. Body temperatures rising above 105-107 degrees can cause cellular death, which can manifest as intestinal damage and bloody stools, chronic kidney or liver disease and brain damage. 109 degrees and above is likely unrecoverable.

On top of the symptoms Grannyhiker mentioned, you may also see squinty eyes, swollen tongue or an overly curled tongue hanging wayyy out in an overheating dog.

You know things have gone too far if your pooch is staggering, weak in the knees, walking kind of "drunk", or weak in the hind end. You're probably well into heat stroke if you see seizures/shaking, muscle tremors and twitching or serious uncoordinated movements or collapse. If you're seeing these symptoms, immerse dog in cold water immediately if possible, or splash cold water...certainly stop all activity, get in the shade, provide drinking water (don't overdo it), whatever you can do...and to the E-vet ASAP.

Some dogs will just poop out when they're feeling too hot, but some breeds or individual dogs have such a drive they'll keep going till they drop (like my border collie). I know several people who've had dogs get heat stroke in as low as 70 degree weather. You can't count on your dog letting you know when he/she's too hot...be careful!!

Thanks Grannyhiker for the heads up!

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » July 1st, 2008, 5:12 pm

Grannyhiker wrote:I recently ran into this thread on [url]I'm told (by my local vet and my-daughter-the veterinarian) that clipping a long-haired dog actually does more harm than good. The long hair acts as insulation from all temperature changes--heat as well as cold.
Thanks for the reminder. I am always amazed about how people go up with barely enough water for their dogs let alone themselves. If I don't think I will be near water I carry nearly 3 liters for me and my two hiking buddies. And never take them on hot days when they will be exposed to sun or when the forecast is over 75 in gov't camp if I'm in the forest. They hate me when I leave but I would be devistated if anything happened to them.

That's true about dogs with the long hair. I have two Keeshonds and I can't tell you how many people tell me I should shave them. I know they mean well. In addition to loosing their natural insulation from the heat many long haired and double coated dogs can risk skin cancer just like we do. Wolves don't get their hair shaved.

Dogs do have their personalities. My female (she's 14 and can easily hike 10 miles on a cool day) would hike until she dropped because she is a determined dog and would do anything for me. The male, well . . . he would just lay down and say give me snacks and and a tv, pick me up on the way back.

If in doubt leave them home always the best thing for them.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

crisp90

Post by crisp90 » July 2nd, 2018, 1:36 am

That story is a thrilling and thanks for sharing it.