Explosions at Rose Gardens!

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
anna in boots

Explosions at Rose Gardens!

Post by anna in boots » June 30th, 2008, 9:49 am

Explosions of color, that is. (Hey, I had to get your attention somehow.)

Unzip that camera bag, charge up the battery, and polish your lenses, folks, the Rose Garden is just crazy-beautiful right now. I've never seen it like this. There's a disturbing amount of color happening in every corner, nook, and cranny. Everything's full-blown gorgeous.

There are thick cascades of pink like waterfalls of taffeta, clusters of lipstick red bigger than a bride's bouquet, and a frothing, foaming river of white. The air is heady with sweet smells of sugar and spices and that rain last night plumped up the green lawn until it's just about bursting.

Everyone from tourists to professional photographers are milling around slowly in a daze, gape-jawed and whispering in reverent tones. Tripods are set up everywhere. People are dipping and bobbing to catch a whiff of this one, taste the smell of that one. I think I inhaled about forty before I couldn't put off breakfast any longer and had to head home.

Now, I have a sudden craving for white cake with pink frosting roses. Dang it!

See you there!

anna in boots

PS: My favorite rose has always been "Don Juan," a deep, blood-red climber that smells like sweet Merlot and cloves.
Attachments
P6070010.jpg
P6070027.jpg
Last edited by anna in boots on July 1st, 2008, 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current trip reports at All Thoughts Work™ Outdoors
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/

pdxgene

Re: Explosions at Rose Gardens!

Post by pdxgene » June 30th, 2008, 6:37 pm

Nice shots! You found a way to take that white/gray/anythingbutblue sky out of play. It was horrible conditions for pictures today and very frustrating.
And as I was out in the woods all day and hadn't seen the news you're subject almost gave me a heart attack when I first thought it said explosions had rocked the Rose Garden , not Gardens.. They can't blow it up when we're finally going to have a good year to work there...:)

anna in boots

Post by anna in boots » June 30th, 2008, 6:40 pm

You're a riot, Gene. And I have to confess, I took those pictures last year. But nothing compares to this one, and I'll be out there again this week for more.

anna in boots

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » June 30th, 2008, 11:54 pm

Beautiful shots, Anna!

Thanks to many volunteers who go through the Rose Test gardens deadheading, weeding and generally providing TLC to the bushes, they're that way all summer. I spent most of a day there with my daughter and son-in-law last August and the place was spectacular--not to be missed!

anna in boots

Post by anna in boots » July 1st, 2008, 8:39 am

The volunteers at the Rose Gardens are fabulous--I should know, I'm one of them!

anna in gloves

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » July 1st, 2008, 10:22 am

Sounds of loud applause from grannyhiker!!!!!!

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » July 1st, 2008, 5:53 pm

The title of my post caught my attention. Great posts and thanks for your volunteerism.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir