Jan. 19 and 20 Free Day at WA State Parks

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Ryan Ojerio

Jan. 19 and 20 Free Day at WA State Parks

Post by Ryan Ojerio » January 15th, 2014, 11:48 am

Hello Hikers,

it looks like this Sunday and Monday are good days to visit WA State Parks if you don't have a Discover Pass. Check out the list of other free dates here:

http://www.parks.wa.gov/mobile/events/sw/

- Happy Hiking! Ryan
Washington Trails Association
Southwest Washington Regional Manager
[email protected]
(360) 722-2657

jamesthehiker

Re: Jan. 19 and 20 Free Day at WA State Parks

Post by jamesthehiker » January 16th, 2014, 4:10 pm

Is Beacon Rock an area I can park free on these days to hike Hamilton Mountain? I went to the website and it is confusing...almost sounds like you can park free but if you want to go hiking you need the Discovery pass. I routinely get the annual Northwest Forest Pass but stopped hiking in Washington when they stopped accepting them. Wasn't sure if this was an opportunity to hike an area I haven't been in a few years. Or I may need to break down and buy a pass then only hike in Washington for a year, ha, ha.

Guy

Post by Guy » January 16th, 2014, 4:25 pm

jamesthehiker wrote:Is Beacon Rock an area I can park free on these days to hike Hamilton Mountain? I went to the website and it is confusing...almost sounds like you can park free but if you want to go hiking you need the Discovery pass. I routinely get the annual Northwest Forest Pass but stopped hiking in Washington when they stopped accepting them. Wasn't sure if this was an opportunity to hike an area I haven't been in a few years. Or I may need to break down and buy a pass then only hike in Washington for a year, ha, ha.
Yes James, on these WA free pass days all the Beacon rock Trailheads can be used without a pass. You don't need a pass to hike any time of the year, only to park.

You don't have to give up on WA hiking or buy a Discover pass, there are still plenty of places to hike where you will not need one.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

jamesthehiker

Post by jamesthehiker » January 16th, 2014, 4:47 pm

Thanks Guy; looks like I'll be joining the crowds to take advantage of the opportunity. :D

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » January 16th, 2014, 4:55 pm

jamesthehiker wrote:Thanks Guy; looks like I'll be joining the crowds to take advantage of the opportunity. :D
I was out there on Veteran's Day weekend, also free, and it really wasn't that bad. This weekend, with the Seahawks playing Sunday and Monday being mostly a public employee holiday, it'll probably be even less crowded.

Fwiw, the Discover Pass is only needed on State lands (DNR and State Parks). Your forest pass is still useful in WA on National Forest lands. Just agreeing with Guy that there's a lot of place to hike up here where it isn't needed.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...