Where are you headed this weekend?

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
fettster

Re: not a fan of the heat

Post by fettster » June 29th, 2008, 8:02 am

anna in boots wrote:I'm heading to the Powell's Books Trailhead. I'm packing a purse with a water bottle, almonds, and dried mango, and I'm hiking a straight route from the front door to the magazine section. Then, I'm going to look for trail spurs off to Oregon hiking books, website design, and general humor.

It's my favorite air-conditioned wilderness.
Hehe, cool! (pun intended). Hope the spur junction wasn't too confusing.

I wound up on my roof installing a window A/C for my bedroom. Kudos to my buddies who donated it last year they moved to Phoenix.

mattisnotfrench

Re: Where are you headed this weekend?

Post by mattisnotfrench » June 29th, 2008, 11:40 am

I went hiking in the French Alps outside of Grenoble. It was amazing. There will be pictures at some point soon. Until then you'll have to be content with this image borrowed from Google Image:

I'm leaving France this week for Ireland. I'm meeting up with an Irish friend of mine and we're going to the Giant's Causeway on the Northern Irish coast:

Okay, enough bragging. I'll be back in Portland in three weeks and complaining about the low snow levels with the rest of y'all!
Last edited by mattisnotfrench on June 29th, 2008, 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » June 29th, 2008, 1:56 pm

Matt, I'm jealous! I'd a lot rather be there than here!

Anna, your expedition sounds just right for a hot day!

I spent most of this morning in church shivering in the A/C. A 100-weight polarfleece jacket would have been more appropriate. Maybe even 200-wt. It felt good to get back outside!

I just put another dehydrator full of food in the garage. Brown rice and mixed dried veggies cooked in chicken broth, with plenty of "herbes de Provence" added. I will add previously dried chicken (stored in the freezer) plus some dried onions and garlic just before the trip. Onions and garlic stink up the house too much if cooked with the food and then dehydrated, so I buy them at the spice section in the supermarket.

Tomorrow, Lord willing, I'm planning to hike the Multnomah/Wahkeena loop, starting about 5 am. In the afternoon, another bout of food drying.

anna in boots

Post by anna in boots » June 29th, 2008, 4:56 pm

fettster,

As a matter of fact, the Powell's trail spur did take me off on a tangent: I discovered the latest issues of Backpacker and Muscle and Fitness and started taking rabid notes on protein powders and delts isolation. I'm a recovering body builder who's about to fall off the wagon again and get a membership somewhere. Any suggestions? Someplace with more sweat and less cellphones would be nice....

anna in boots
Current trip reports at All Thoughts Work™ Outdoors
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/

nyxlily

Post by nyxlily » June 29th, 2008, 6:23 pm

Today wasn't as bad as yesterday, for which I was grateful. Went to Mt. Tabor for a giant game of Capture the Flag. 60 people was supposed to show, about half of that came :( but we still had a good game.

aeryn987

Post by aeryn987 » June 30th, 2008, 10:01 am

I spent Friday through Sunday exploring Paradise up on Rainier. We tried to hike from Narada Falls to Reflection Lake, but that wasn't gonna happen! Scrambling over snow in a tucked up skirt and tank top? Bizarre! And not entirely practical. So we hiked to a viewpoint on Rampart Ridge instead. So good to be 4000 feet up!!
"It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to."
-Bilbo Baggins

Delfiin

Post by Delfiin » June 30th, 2008, 5:17 pm

Well, I missed the original goal of this post but enjoyed reading what everyone else was up to. So instead of what I have planned, what I already did over the weekend:
Went up to Glacier/Mount Baker Wilderness. Spent the mornings hiking and the afternoons rafting the Nooksack river. A very nice blend for such a HOT weekend. I have to say I was blown away by the splendid scenery up there. It's kinda making me wish gas wasn't $4.30 a gallon.

Jane

Post by Jane » July 25th, 2008, 6:21 am

Wow, can't believe it's the LAST weekend in July already! I think I saw "back to school" inklings in the stores, crazy. Any fun adventures planned this weekend? A friend and I are headed to the Boulder Lake area today, Sunday I'm attending a Friends of the Gorge picnic.

baker9903

Post by baker9903 » July 25th, 2008, 8:29 am

Wahoo, I can't believe its the last weekend of July either. I am headed to the coast for a weekend of "camping" with my law firm. Can't wait to see how the boss' mercedes handles the "wilderness" of Nahelem Bay State Park. subdivision camping at its best. but hey, at least its at the beach.

Cattrapper

Post by Cattrapper » July 25th, 2008, 10:07 am

I'm headed for the McKenzie River this afternoon, until Tuesday. Packing some fingerling trout into Kuitan Lake, in the Mt. Washington Wilderness, for ODFW tomorrow morning. Then spend the rest of the time doing some geocaching, see if I can get up to the Sand Mtn. lookout, visit the Sawyer Caves, and hike into Echo Basin.
"Come visit us again and again. This is a state of excitement. But for heaven's sake, don't move here to live." Tom McCall