Glacier "Rephoto" Photography

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Koda

Glacier "Rephoto" Photography

Post by Koda » June 30th, 2013, 6:08 pm

Ran into this at random while killing time on the internet today. Thought it would be of interest here.

In short, "PSU geologist Hassan Basagic visited numerous mountains in the Pacific Northwest in order to duplicate glacier photographs originally recorded early in the 20th century." essentially by finding the exact spot the historical photos were taken. This Mazama's article covers the glaciers on Mt Hood: http://mazamas.blogspot.com/2013/03/gla ... -hood.html

and this web blog is from the photographer: https://sites.google.com/site/glacierrephoto/home (be certain to visit the photo galleries page...)

I have not read through everything yet, but the photos are intriguing enough to get lost in.... To wet your appetite here are a few...

The Eliot Glacier 1901 - 2012:

Mt Rainier 1921 - 2012:

Mt Shasta, 1870 - 2012:
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

mayhem

Re: Glacier "Rephoto" Photography

Post by mayhem » June 30th, 2013, 6:49 pm

Koda,
Thanks for sharing, I find this kind of stuff fascinating! Am I missing something though? It seems Mnt Shasta has more Glacier than before?
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » June 30th, 2013, 9:08 pm

Great find Koda. Very interesting stuff. Elliot's demise is outright direful
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » July 1st, 2013, 5:33 am

Absolutely fascinating project. And extremely sad to see, too. I wasn't ready to see what I saw with the White River pair. I suppose, being on the south side, that's the logical one to go the most. Newton-Clark was darn dramatic, too. Wish they could dig out an intermediate set of photos from, say, the 60s or 70s, so we'd have better calibration what's happened within (some of) our lifetimes. Guessing that the acceleration would be apparent. :(
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Stevefromdodge

Post by Stevefromdodge » July 1st, 2013, 5:42 am

mayhem wrote:Koda,
Thanks for sharing, I find this kind of stuff fascinating! Am I missing something though? It seems Mnt Shasta has more Glacier than before?
Glaciers on Mt Shasta are growing.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech/sci ... intValue=0

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » July 1st, 2013, 5:59 am

Stevefromdodge wrote:
Glaciers on Mt Shasta are growing.
Wow, that's an excellent addition to this thread! Great insights, there. Up at JRO, you may hear that Crater Glacier is the only one in the lower-48 that's still growing! I have. And, it was just plausible enough that I believed it. Thanks for that link!
Karl

Koda

Post by Koda » July 1st, 2013, 6:32 am

I noticed that too. What I find most interesting is that while the majority of the Cascade glaciers are retreating some are growing, why is that? I think the small glacier inside the crater of St Helens is supposedly growing too.... How can one mountain suffer shrinkage when its neighbor just a few miles away is growing?

Koda

Post by Koda » July 1st, 2013, 6:43 am

here is another local photo from the olympics...

disclaimer: I do not think this one is related to the project of the subject of this thread... click here for the full article the following photo is based from: http://www.nps.gov/olym/naturescience/glaciers.htm very interesting read.

http://www.nps.gov/olym/naturescience/i ... pair_1.jpg

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » July 1st, 2013, 8:28 am

Koda wrote:I noticed that too. What I find most interesting is that while the majority of the Cascade glaciers are retreating some are growing, why is that? I think the small glacier inside the crater of St Helens is supposedly growing too.... How can one mountain suffer shrinkage when its neighbor just a few miles away is growing?
With MSH, the answer is pretty straight-forward. The topography changes outweighed the climate changes. :)

With Shasta, climate change is again driving the difference, in that it's getting far more moisture now than it did previously. That combined with 14k' elevation (still) means more ice.
Karl

Peder

Post by Peder » July 1st, 2013, 9:41 am

kepPNW wrote:With MSH, the answer is pretty straight-forward. The topography changes outweighed the climate changes. :)
Karl - I have a different take on the Crater Glacier: It is a post 1980 glacier and it is still growing to reach its full size. So at present, it is not climate change or global warming that is impacting the glacier's growth (or decline). The glacier is simply so young, that it has not yet reached its equilibrium, were snow accumulation balances melt-off.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…