Don't plan on hiking Cooper Spur any time soon

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Splintercat

Re: Don't plan on hiking Cooper Spur any time soon

Post by Splintercat » July 20th, 2013, 10:29 pm

Odd that the closure includes non-vehiculer travel, as the trails through the burn are still open to foot travel...

I'm always a little suspect when mass logging is proposed to remove "killer" trees, since most snags stand for decades after a fire. But I suspect the USFS lawyers have made this call for the agency, based on this sort of nonsense. Frivolous lawsuits will be the death of our civilization..! :x

The National Park Service also removes "hazard" trees in burn areas along roads and other busy areas -- but I don't remember seeing this broad a treatment (for example, in Yellowstone). You always have to wonder if the USFS is selling the wood, which is the moral hazard of "protecting" forests that you are also tasked with selling to the highest bidder.

Guess I'd better do the Tilly Jane trail before they close it, too! (not to mention Vista Ridge).

Tom :roll:

Roy

Post by Roy » July 20th, 2013, 10:36 pm

Guy wrote:From the Forest Service Link:

Because of the large number of trees this will likely be done with heavy machinery and this may drive the need for environmental analysis and mitigations to insure that natural resources are protected during operations.

In other words thousands of idollars spent on government inter departmental / agency study before anything ever gets actually done!

It reads as if they are surprised that these trees have rotted & something has to be done now ;)
Contractor will make money on the study and some one will most likely collect a chunck of change for awarding it.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

rainrunner

Post by rainrunner » July 21st, 2013, 7:53 pm

With the road closed, we got the shelter area to ourselves when we spent the night this weekend.
There were a lot of hikers making their way to cloud cap and the shelter on the Tilly Jane trail, but they were all gone well before sunset.
We hiked up the Polallie Ridge trail and made it to the shelter on the first day and camped, then stashed the backpacks, and used day packs to head up to the top of Cooper Spur the next morning, we returned the Tilly Jane trail back to the car.
Last edited by rainrunner on July 23rd, 2013, 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
The mountains are calling and I must go.
John Muir

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 21st, 2013, 8:06 pm

That's what's good about the road being closed. Maybe a few people at the two trailheads but hardly anyone beyond.

SonOfTamarack

Post by SonOfTamarack » July 21st, 2013, 11:51 pm

Splintercat wrote:Odd that the closure includes non-vehiculer travel, as the trails through the burn are still open to foot travel...

I'm always a little suspect when mass logging is proposed to remove "killer" trees, since most snags stand for decades after a fire. But I suspect the USFS lawyers have made this call for the agency, based on this sort of nonsense. Frivolous lawsuits will be the death of our civilization..! :x

The National Park Service also removes "hazard" trees in burn areas along roads and other busy areas -- but I don't remember seeing this broad a treatment (for example, in Yellowstone). You always have to wonder if the USFS is selling the wood, which is the moral hazard of "protecting" forests that you are also tasked with selling to the highest bidder.

Guess I'd better do the Tilly Jane trail before they close it, too! (not to mention Vista Ridge).

Yeah, it does seem a bit suspicious. I mean if all you cared about was safety why wouldn't you fell all the snags that might fall on the road, but fell them pointing away from the road. I imagine they'd provide even more erosion control and be nice nurse logs for future forests.

SonOfTamarack

Post by SonOfTamarack » July 23rd, 2013, 5:47 pm

Spoke to Janeen Tervo, the new District Ranger at Hood River district today. She says that the initial plan is to cut back 50' from the road (after an impact study), then over winter and next summer cut back 100' from the road. No body, whether on foot, bike, car, or horse, will be allowed up past the gate except forest service, fire, police, search and rescue, Crag Rats, and concessionaires for Tilly Jane and Cloud Cap Saddle campgrounds. Tilly Jane trail up from the gate is open.

So the short version: no access up Cloud Cap Rd past the Cooper Spur ski area this OR next summer.

Janeen Tervo seems very nice. One could call her at 541-352-1201.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » July 23rd, 2013, 9:26 pm

Wow. That's really disappointing -- and truly overkill, too. Thanks for the update-

Tom :(

Water

Post by Water » July 24th, 2013, 1:00 pm

i dont understand one bit cause unless my memory has failed me I do believe I drove up there the year after the fire. did it get radically more dangerous? or were they just THAT NEGLIGENT that they let us drive up the year after.

this is all major BS. MAJOR. Also pls contrast this with Mt. Adams, a cash cow for the FS--they got that road opened up exactly in time for when the fee was required on Adams. just a 'coincidence' for sure. think it a few years they'll close it to deal with trees? doubtful.
Feel Free to Feel Free

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » July 24th, 2013, 1:06 pm

I was up there last fall, I was more concerned about the hunters. 100' seems excessive. I wonder if there is still value as timber.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » July 26th, 2013, 2:32 pm

I wouldn't think so after five years, Waffle -- but then again, the legal struggle over the St. Helens blowdown timber lasted for years.

This is a photo from 2010, and shows a section that they cleared right after the fire:

So, I guess we're going to have a sea of stumps and felled trees like this all the way up the road, now? So that the Forest Service lawyers are content? Seems absurd - yet another black eye for the agency. I really wonder who does their PR sometimes.... sheesh!