Corvallis to Newport

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Pinkishlacy

Corvallis to Newport

Post by Pinkishlacy » June 24th, 2013, 8:00 pm

Hi all,

I am going to hike from Corvallis to Newport the second week in July. It's a 66 mile hike, mostly along logging roads. I plan to be gone 4 days, which means I will be hiking about 15.5 miles a day. I've never really backpacked before. I've done a lot of hiking, and camping, just never anything like this. I was wondering if anyone had any general advice, or suggestions on gear to bring? Browsing through the other topics, I've already put my biggest fear (cougars) to rest, and to be honest I wasn't very nervous about them to begin with.

So far my list of things I am taking is pretty basic:
  • Tent
    Water filter
    Shovel
    Machete
    Stove
    Dehydrated meals
    Waterproof matches
    Sleeping bag
    Knife
    Hatchet
    Spoon/fork/multitool
    First aid kit
    Tent repair kit
    Headlamp
    Map
    Compass
    Water bottle
    Cell phone (although I don't plan to have it on)
    Whistle
    Pepper spray
Any help is appreciated! Thanks! :D

retired jerry

Re: Corvallis to Newport

Post by retired jerry » June 24th, 2013, 8:20 pm

You don't need shovel, machete, hatchet, pepper spray. Just small knife.

Site with some info about lightweight backpacking http://www.backpacking.net/

Peder

Post by Peder » June 24th, 2013, 9:40 pm

Add a good book (or good music) and something to deal with blisters (just in case!). Have lots of fun!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

raven

Post by raven » June 25th, 2013, 11:37 am

The machete, hatchet and shovel imply you are not sufficiently motivated to keep your weight carried down. Get rid of inessentials and duplicates; try to replace heavy items with light ones.

Load up your pack and start walking with it. Up hill and down, on side hills, and while stepping over downed trees. Learn to load it so that you are comfortable wearing it before committing yourself to the hike. It will be your friend or not, so replace it if it isn't.

Your list does not include padding under you at night. Carry at least a 3/8'' thick sheet of closed cell foam. Some people prefer inflatables, but they cost more. I suggest full length until you know you can get by with a shorter pad -- short does not work for me, for example.

potato

Post by potato » June 25th, 2013, 12:14 pm

What sort of map do you have? On one of the first backpacking trips I did, I just used a kind of zoomed-out guide map with some text instructions... that can be OK if the area is really well marked and stuff and the directions are clear, but I don't backpack without a decent topographic map anymore.
Getting lost or struggling to figure out the route is frustrating (or worse) so I just recommend having a good map and knowing your route before you go.

And yeah there's no need for a shovel or machete or that stuff. Personally I don't bring a stove but it seems like most people do.
self observing universe (main blog)
Joe hikes (PCT blog)
Laws of Nature (bandcamp)

Lumpy

Post by Lumpy » June 25th, 2013, 11:06 pm

retired jerry wrote:You don't need shovel, machete, hatchet, pepper spray. Just small knife.
This. And since you are heading to the coast, unless you are very comfortable in your rain gear in a super soaker or day-long coast range drizzle, think about bringing a light weight umbrella. Lots of uses, but the one I like best is just having it when I wished I had one. ;)
"Why are you always chasing women?"
"I'll tell you as soon as I catch one!"

Stevefromdodge

Post by Stevefromdodge » June 26th, 2013, 2:56 pm

Sunscreen and bug juice. You'll miss those if you need them.

markesc

Post by markesc » June 26th, 2013, 3:13 pm

Def plan for 2 extra days; jungle juice!!; explain to a few people your actual intended route so we don't have to read about you on the news being you've stated you've never done a backpacking trip before; backup plan should the water filter break on ya (don't ask me how I know!!!); bring a friend!

Pinkishlacy

Post by Pinkishlacy » July 2nd, 2013, 3:46 pm

Thank you all very much for your help!