Insect repellent?

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Cattrapper

Insect repellent?

Post by Cattrapper » June 26th, 2008, 3:33 am

I'm just wondering what some of you use for insect repellent? I've never had much luck with DEET. I haven't tried REI's jungle juice, but from what I read in the customer reviews, I don't think I want to. There's just something about putting a product on bare skin that will eat plastic that doesn't appeal to me.

I've also tried a picaridin repellent made by Off, I think. It worked well for about 15 min after application, but seemed to wear off after that.

So, what works for the rest of you? Anyone have any luck with natural repellents?
"Come visit us again and again. This is a state of excitement. But for heaven's sake, don't move here to live." Tom McCall

Delfiin

Re: Insect repellent?

Post by Delfiin » June 26th, 2008, 5:42 am

I have had really good luck with Repel eucalyptus lemon repellent. It seems to last for a long time and doesn't contain anything too scary. I bought it at REI originally (link here). The kind I am familiar with was a cream, but it seems like they have switched to a spray now.
repel.jpg
repel.jpg (5.54 KiB) Viewed 4536 times

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » June 26th, 2008, 9:35 am

I've used REI's repellant and it worked okay for me. I have also used Burt's Bees repellant stick. It works but you have to reapply it frequently. I just read that lavender oil also works. I'm going to try that this summer. I'm a skeeter magnet and get bit when others don't so we'll see.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Paul

Post by Paul » June 26th, 2008, 10:21 am

Sticky, smelly Deet (Jungle Juice) is the only one that really works for any length of time. Backpacker had a good test in an issue a year or two ago.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
- Will Rogers

Martell

Post by Martell » June 26th, 2008, 10:25 am

Deet definitely works. I feel like it's gotta be doing something bad to me, so I try to go without as long as I can tolerate though. Keeping moving and only stopping in windy spots seems to help a lot. If you are backpacking you can have dinner a little later than usual- it always seems like there is a time of night they go into hiding.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

Billc

Post by Billc » June 26th, 2008, 11:39 am

My first line of defense is long sleeves and long pants. I use deet on my hat but not on me if I can help it. I wear the kind that Giligan wore and I soak the brim all around. Your best defense is to find a hiking partner that they like more than they like you.
Bill

chameleon

Post by chameleon » June 26th, 2008, 11:53 am

The best insect protection seems to be achieved by using permanone on your clothes. It actually binds to the fabric and can withstand washings and last for 2 weeks. In addition, I like to take a lot of vitamin B and even Garlique tablets before and during a trip. Even then, I still often comb my hair with insect repellent (as that seems to be where ticks like to hide). But luckily I haven't had an imbedded tick yet this year! And I do a lot of bush-whacking so that says something - seems to be working!
-Zach

Cattrapper

Post by Cattrapper » June 26th, 2008, 1:32 pm

Delfiin wrote:I have had really good luck with Repel eucalyptus lemon repellent. It seems to last for a long time and doesn't contain anything too scary.
Delfin,
I've been thinking about trying this one. The customer reviews pretty much all complained that it has a very strong smell. Has the smell bothered you at all?
chameleon wrote:The best insect protection seems to be achieved by using permanone on your clothes. It actually binds to the fabric and can withstand washings and last for 2 weeks. In addition, I like to take a lot of vitamin B and even Garlique tablets before and during a trip.
I don't think I've ever heard of permanone before. Does anyone else here use it with success?

Thanks for all the replies so far, and please keep them coming.

Darin
"Come visit us again and again. This is a state of excitement. But for heaven's sake, don't move here to live." Tom McCall

Paul

Post by Paul » June 26th, 2008, 2:22 pm

Cattrapper wrote: I don't think I've ever heard of permanone before. Does anyone else here use it with success?

Thanks for all the replies so far, and please keep them coming.

Darin

PermaOne is a brand of repellent that uses permethrin. I've never used it, the clothes that have it built-in are expensive (Bug-Off).
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
- Will Rogers

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 26th, 2008, 4:58 pm

Some tick authorities recommend permethrin (permanone). Like the military. You're supposed to apply it to clothes. It's an ingredient in some pet tick treatments. Humans aren't supposed to get it on there skin.

I got some from REI and applied it to my boots and gaitors. It smelled some initially but I can't smell anything now.

I hiked a bit around The Dalles and didn't get any ticks, but I likely wouldn't have had any ticks regardless.