Insect repellent?

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
anna in boots

And you smell so fresh!

Post by anna in boots » June 27th, 2008, 10:53 am

Herbal Armor. Works on everything but chiggers. I think the only thing that works on chiggers is to actually set your legs on fire and let them burn for the duration of the hike. But Herbal Armor smells better.

anna in boots
Current trip reports at All Thoughts Work™ Outdoors
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/

scrambler2

Re: Insect repellent?

Post by scrambler2 » June 27th, 2008, 3:05 pm

I usually bring a couple lines of defense. The lemon-euc Repel is OK but when it gets bad, you gotta have DEET. Jungle Juice works well.
PCT class of 2012

Cattrapper

Post by Cattrapper » June 27th, 2008, 7:21 pm

I'm definitely going to give Repel and Herbal Armor a try, but I'm still not to sure about trying Jungle Juice. Have any of you had any bad experiences with it?
"Come visit us again and again. This is a state of excitement. But for heaven's sake, don't move here to live." Tom McCall

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » June 27th, 2008, 8:07 pm

Jungle Juice is basically 100% Deet. It's sort of a tossup as to which is worse, that heavy a concentration of Deet (which can cause you damage) or the mosquitoes. I've seen recommendations that a max of 30% Deet is safer. Note that Deet doesn't do much to repel flies.

While I didn't noticed mosquitoes flying around me, I ended up with a lot of bites last weekend. A stealth attack!

rosecity

Post by rosecity » June 28th, 2008, 8:09 pm

Regarding the smell of Repel eucalyptus lemon repellent - it is so strong that I had difficulty breathing. DEET is great smelling in comparison.

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » June 28th, 2008, 9:49 pm

Has anyone tried picaridin (Cutter Advanced)? It's supposedly not as damaging to your physiology as Deet, and claims to work on flies (which Deet doesn't). I haven't had a chance to test it out yet. This may be a good year for testing!

Cattrapper

Post by Cattrapper » June 29th, 2008, 11:02 am

I've tried a picaridin repellent. I forget the brand name, but not Cutter Advanced. It seemed to work well for flies and skeeters, but only for a very short time.
"Come visit us again and again. This is a state of excitement. But for heaven's sake, don't move here to live." Tom McCall

Paul

Post by Paul » July 1st, 2008, 6:47 am

Grannyhiker wrote:Has anyone tried picaridin (Cutter Advanced)? It's supposedly not as damaging to your physiology as Deet, and claims to work on flies (which Deet doesn't). I haven't had a chance to test it out yet. This may be a good year for testing!

I used it just last weekend - like cattrapper said, it works for a very short amount of time, like 15 minutes or so. Too bad, because it's not greasy at all, and smells pretty good.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
- Will Rogers