parking garbage Table Mountain

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
beag

parking garbage Table Mountain

Post by beag » March 5th, 2013, 2:22 pm

Just heard that there is concern about the amount of garbage the staff had to pick up at the Hot Springs where hikers park. That should concern all hikers because if we lose parking privileges there then we will have to park at the FS lot at Bonneyville Dam. I have suggested that a pick up garbage sign be installed where we park. My other suggestion would be that we all help by picking up garbage whenever we hike there. The Managment have been great with people hiking on their property even though there have been other abuses. A few years ago you could use the swiming pool for 5 dollars after hiking. However some hikers decided to use the pool in the nude and that ended that option. Any ideas for helping with the garbage would be welcome. Education of some of the slobs would be the best thing but we should do our part too. Garbage can will have to be bear proof, so that wont work.

retired jerry

Re: parking garbage Table Mountain

Post by retired jerry » March 5th, 2013, 2:45 pm

If you put up sign or garbage sign, people will vandalize it, how unfortunate

If we pick up garbage each time, even just spend 10 minutes, that might help

Peder

Post by Peder » March 5th, 2013, 3:24 pm

That is a shame with the garbage. The lot was clean Saturday, but only dedicated hikers go out in winter.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Guy

Post by Guy » March 5th, 2013, 5:53 pm

That's very disappointing to hear. Its the perfect place to park for so many hikes in the area. I think a sign reminding people that they are allowed to park there only because of the kindness off the Hot Spring Folks & that privileged can be taken away if trash is left behind. I'd also contribute towards it if folks here at Portland Hikers wanted to club together to install a sign for them.

Perhaps we can also put something in the field guide here about it to & encourage any who frequent this site at least to pick up any trash they see there weather or not it be theirs or not.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Roy

Post by Roy » March 5th, 2013, 6:23 pm

Have you ever started from Kidney lake and jump to Gillette looks kike a garbage dump diapers old appliances
sad sad sad.I dove below the power lines to Kidney late DEC i was going over to Gillette. There were small old mossy trailers parked with old wet furniture around them. First thought was hunting camps way to trashy. I was not comfortable parking my truck there so I left I ran into a guy on an beat up MT bike he said people lived in theses trailers. No power.fresh water sewer. I used to fish up there 20 plus ago it was clean . What has happened?

My wife works for BPA and I asked her could they squat there,yes they can BPA has a lean but its an abandoned quarry so the owners evict them but there is no owners now. It was a disturbing ride home with many strange emotions. Are we failing as a society? It must be cold and damp living in those things

One of longer hikes to Table.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » March 6th, 2013, 6:31 am

This is a great and safe place to park for access to Table and more along the Dick Thomas Trail.
So yes, let's all help by (a) posting something in the field guide; (b) letting other hikers know about this; (c) pick-up if we see some. We can make this happen!

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 6th, 2013, 6:53 am

I can fix the field guide.

This is another of my weird holes in my hiking experience, I've only hiked from Bonneville Dam.

In the field guide, it refers to the Aldrich Butte Trailhead:

"Coming from Portland, take I-84 east to Cascade Locks and take the toll bridge (Bridge of the Gods) across to Washington. Take a left (west) on state Highway 14. About three miles west of the bridge, (past the Bonneville Trailhead), you will come to Hot Springs Road. Turn right, go under the railroad grade and take an immediate right onto Cascade Drive. Follow Cascade Drive as it sweeps around the the far end of Greenleaf Slough. The road appears to end at a turn-around 1.8 miles later. Continue another tenth of a mile on what is now "Shelly Lane", cross the small bridge over Carpenter Creek and turn right on the first powerline access road. Drive up the powerline access road for about 150 yards to the first real fork in the road. Park any where you can here, but be sure to leave the road passable to others."

But aren't we talking about a parking area closer to the Hot Springs?

Maybe we should put into the field guide something about this alternate parking area and put the warning that it will be prohibited if we don't keep the trash picked up?

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » March 6th, 2013, 7:07 am

retired jerry wrote:But aren't we talking about a parking area closer to the Hot Springs?
Yes, it's at 45.655545°/-121.960594°. You actually turn into the Hot Springs, and drive around back to the left. It'd be a real shame to lose that access!
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Guy

Post by Guy » March 6th, 2013, 7:14 am

That's correct Jerry,

Here is a Hillmap link marking the Parking lot in question & the Dick Thomas Trailhead.

hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 6th, 2013, 7:18 am

Okay, but I need text for field guide, not an answer to my question :)

How about:

"An alternate parking area is to turn into the Bonneville Hot Springs and drive around back and left. Then just walk up the ....? to connect to the regular trail"

Maybe some mention of Dick Thomas?