Camp Halton at Aneroid Lake in the Wallowas

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
vibramhead

Camp Halton at Aneroid Lake in the Wallowas

Post by vibramhead » September 10th, 2012, 6:47 pm

After my recent Eagle Cap hike, I did a bit of research on Camp Halton, the private inholding on Aneroid Lake, and came across this interesting bit of history about the place, written by one of the current caretakers. The story begins in 1892, and is worth a read if you've been there.
Time spent hiking will not be deducted from your life.

GPS tracks on Wikiloc.

pyles_94

Re: Camp Halton at Aneroid Lake in the Wallowas

Post by pyles_94 » September 17th, 2012, 2:44 pm

I regularly hike with an older fellow who has met the "Boss of the mountain" several times. He hadn't been up there since the old man retired, and was practically surprised to hear from me that there was a younger man with long hair running the place now. :) Amazing find!
Jamey Pyles

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » September 20th, 2018, 5:54 pm

My daughter and I were up there this week and I was searching for some history on Camp Halton and came across this post from long ago. Unfortunately, the linked article is gone, and the wayback machine didn't archive it, so I couldn't read it. Anyone know any of the history? Other than it is owned by Halton tractor company? Really interesting area. I'd assume that at some point there was mining there - one of the cabins (the one that said "store") looked like it might have been a mine entrance.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » September 21st, 2018, 2:47 am

Have you tried Wallowa County Museum?

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » September 21st, 2018, 8:30 pm

Webfoot wrote:
September 21st, 2018, 2:47 am
Have you tried Wallowa County Museum?
Interesting idea but we are home now and I didn't see much of any web content on their website other than a few pictures. Maybe next time I'm out that way I can stop in.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » September 21st, 2018, 10:45 pm

My intended suggestion was to call or email the contacts listed on that page.

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » September 22nd, 2018, 6:38 am

Webfoot wrote:
September 21st, 2018, 10:45 pm
My intended suggestion was to call or email the contacts listed on that page.
Well, that would make a lot of sense, now wouldn't it? I feel stupid now..... :oops: :)

If I find out anything, I will post here just to close the loop. Thanks for being patient with my slowness....