Saving on gas--"hypermiling"

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Grannyhiker

Saving on gas--"hypermiling"

Post by Grannyhiker » June 23rd, 2008, 10:54 am

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1510
Interesting article on increasing your gas mileage (so you can afford to do more hiking!)

It was interesting that on a recent trip north I deliberately set my cruise control for 65 (instead of about 72) on the 70 mph section of I-5. I got 35 mpg on my '06 Toyota Matrix instead of the normal 32. That's the first time I've ever gotten the advertised EPA mileage on this car. Normally, I'm very hesitant to go below the speed limit for safety reasons, but only a few cars passed me. Gas prices seem to be doing what speed limit laws and the cops can't! Part of the trip included WA6 from Chehalis to Raymond, hilly and curvy with lots of slowing down and speeding up.

sarbar

Re: Saving on gas--"hypermiling"

Post by sarbar » June 24th, 2008, 7:03 pm

GH, I do it all the time now. I have gone from being Leadfoot Larrina to Slowpoke Sarah :shock: I drive a 1993 300D Benz so while I get great diesel mileage, well, I pay more for fuel! Diesel is holding here at around $4.80 a gallon.
I drive no more than 55 mph except for on I-90 where I do the trucker limit (60-65). I also don't exceed 2 on the rpm's to keep my engine at a smooth pace.

Yeah, people hate me. But I never hold up traffic and I drive on the right side. And hey...it is worth it. I get great mileage now! :D
Freezer Bag Cooking, Trail Cooking, Gear & Beyond.....Outdoor Food Simplified: http://www.trailcooking.com/

Aridd

Post by Aridd » June 29th, 2008, 2:03 pm

i drive a mid sized suv so i eat the bucket at gas stations too but i try to help by keeping under 2.5 rpm and not over 55 if a can help and it seems as if ive been driving a honda. i used to drive "faster" according to my friends. not only for prices but the awareness that our (oil) fuel driven country and world needs to find an alternative fast.

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » June 29th, 2008, 2:07 pm

As the article points out, avoiding sudden stops and starts and inflating your tires close to the maximum recommended on the sidewall are some other ways to increase gas mileage. I'm paying lots more attention to my in-town driving and will add air to the tires next time I get gas. I discovered that the max for my tires is 40 PSI even though the owner's manual recommends 32. Surely 37-38 PSI would be better.

Martell

Post by Martell » July 1st, 2008, 3:18 pm

The Field Guide has a list of trailheads that are accessible via public transit. This might help you save a few bucks on gas.

We are missing Forest Park- can we think of more to add?
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

Aimless

Post by Aimless » July 1st, 2008, 5:54 pm

I own a 1994 4-door Honda Civic sedan. Get it warmed up and on a highway and it will get about 41 or 42mpg. We bought this car for exactly that reason. We loved it even when gas was $1.25 a gallon.

I haven't discovered the exact best MPH to maximize the mpg, but I would like to remind everyone that having the correct tire pressure can increase your mileage by 3-5%. Even if you had your tire pressure checked two or three months ago, air escapes over time and you may be underinflated now. It is one of the simplest and most cost-effective ways not to waste gas.

Happy hiking!

airdrum

Post by airdrum » July 2nd, 2008, 12:52 pm

Thanks for this great link Grannyhiker, I was very pleased to find that I already am doing a lot of their tips already, especially the pats about trying to retain momentum and not use the brakes. My 97 ford explorer sucks down gas quite rapidly, but luckily it's got a truck engine meant for pulling, which means lots of low-end torque. This helps keep the RPMs extremely low even under moderate acceleration.

While gas mileage on the highway depends so much on road and environmental conditions I don't really worry about it other than keeping my speed low, I think the gold in the tips are the ones about driving around town, you have to be aware of light timing and momentum conservation. I pay so much attention to this, I can even tell you with 90% accuracy what lights on my common routes are sensor activated versus timed, and if they are timed, what lights they work together with, or against.

For example, for all of you who normally travel 99E in portland, keep it at a constant 30 miles per hour and you will make every light, except for burnside and broadway, which are the momentum breakers, so when approaching those lights take your foot off the gas, it will turn yellow soon enough anyway! Downtown Portland? - 16-17 miles per hour!

I'd also raise a word of caution about the hype regarding tire pressures. The if your tires have a max sidewall of 45PSI, having them at 35PSI, isn't going to hurt you badly. You commonly hear "5% improvement!" because if you max out your tires, there may be 5% less tires surface area on the pavement - but that does not translate to 5% better mileage! Rolling resistance regarding tire/pavement is only one factor affecting mileage. If you do not have access to an air compressor for free, it's completely possible you may end up spending more money at gas station air pumps then you will save from having maxed tires (depending on how much you drive of course!) Maxing out your tire pressure has adverse vehicle handling effects as well as increasing flat tire likelihood on rougher pavement.

I read a fantastic article in car and driver magazine explaining this a few months ago but I can't find it online as free content- bummer!

In any case I'd recommend one send a letter to their vehicle's manufacturer asking about fuel efficiency at certain speeds. I did this 5 years ago and ford was nice enough to send me a graph indicating that 59.5 mph is the most efficient highway speed in my vehicle, mostly due to a very small overdrive 5th gear, which keeps highway rpms low. I'd assume most other car makers would also be happy to share their data, especially given current gas prices!
Andy

jeffstatt

Post by jeffstatt » July 2nd, 2008, 8:44 pm

I remember an article in Consumer Reports that said the simplest way to save MPG is "pressing on your gas and brake as if there is an egg between your foot and the pedal and you really don't want to break it".

bcostley

Post by bcostley » July 3rd, 2008, 2:32 pm

Grannyhiker wrote:I discovered that the max for my tires is 40 PSI even though the owner's manual recommends 32. Surely 37-38 PSI would be better.
Be careful with overinflation. The pressure increases when the tire gets hot which is what happens when you drive. Also, the tire will wear out faster so you may save money on gas but lose it on having to buy tires more often. Though at $4+ a gallon, maybe buying lots of tires is cheaper.

anna in boots

Post by anna in boots » July 4th, 2008, 9:32 am

Excellent, Jeff, I'm going to remember that one! (Note to self: no scrambled eggs on the accelerator pedal.)

I've found that, especially in a full-sized truck will a full-sized stopping distance, maintaining the maximum 3-second following distance at all speeds prevents scrambled eggs. Also, keeping my distance from the guy in front of me at a standstill to the tune of one truck length behind makes good sense, too. At stoplights and in gridlock traffic, that extra cushion of space is my Number One Anxiety Buster. (Many moons ago, my father was caught in one of those multiple car fender benders where everybody goes down like dominoes due to narrow following distances. I never forgot it, or the stitches on his forehead. Or the points on his insurance.)

At the bare minimum, I make sure I can see pavement between the top of my hood and the guy's rear wheels in front of me. I never have to slam on the brakes or worry about who's behind me. That, and giving myself an extra fifteen minutes to get anywhere means I'm virtually stress-free. Until that little red needle kisses "E" again.

anna in boots
Current trip reports at All Thoughts Work™ Outdoors
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/