OPB - Civilian Conservation Corps program Nov. 3, 9p.m.

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Jane

OPB - Civilian Conservation Corps program Nov. 3, 9p.m.

Post by Jane » October 31st, 2008, 8:28 pm

Oregon Experience
"Civilian Conservation Corps"

Mon., Nov. 3, 9p.m.

OPB's first "Oregon Experience" show of the season is the Civilian Conservation Corps airing November 3 at 9pm and produced by Kami Horton. The show is a rich and engaging look at one of the most successful of the New Deal programs of the Great Depression. Several “CCC boys” tell their personal stories about life in the Corps and the impact it had on Oregon and their own lives.

2008 is the 75th Anniversary of the Civilian Conservation Corps, a New Deal program put in place by Franklin Roosevelt during the Great Depression.

The CCC took unemployed, and often desperate, young men and put them to work doing rural conservation jobs. The CCC operated camps all over the country with dozens scattered throughout Oregon. Nationwide enrollees planted nearly 4 billion trees and became the first organized firefighting crews the same year the infamous Tillamook Burn broke out.

Most of the money the boys earned was sent directly to their struggling families. For many of the ‘CCC boys’ the opportunity changed their lives and gave them a sense of pride.

Today, in forest and parks around the state, Oregonians continue to enjoy the benefits of their work.

Here's a neat preview video: http://www.opb.org/programs/oregonexper ... w&file=ccc

Episode: #301, 28 minutes

Cattrapper

Re: OPB - Civilian Conservation Corps program Nov. 3, 9p.m.

Post by Cattrapper » October 31st, 2008, 9:10 pm

Sounds like it'll be a great show!
"Come visit us again and again. This is a state of excitement. But for heaven's sake, don't move here to live." Tom McCall

kelkev

Post by kelkev » November 1st, 2008, 2:12 pm

Thanks Jane! I would have missed it since I'm usually ready to hit the hay about that time. But worth staying up to see!

Kevin
"Going to the mountains is going home."
— John Muir

Jane

Post by Jane » November 3rd, 2008, 1:54 pm

The program does look great, on a fascinating piece of history still part of our outdoor adventures. I'm looking forward to watching it tonight! :
http://www.opb.org/oregonexperience/

Jane

Re: OPB - Oregon Experience Programs

Post by Jane » November 10th, 2008, 6:12 pm

The CCC Program was great, and here's tonight's:

The River They Saw
November 10, 2008, 9:00 PM

http://www.opb.org/programs/oregonexperience

The beauty and magic of the Columbia River Gorge has attracted photographers for more than 150 years. The River They Saw chronicles the history of the Gorge with rarely seen images crafted by Carleton Watkins, Sarah Ladd, Benjamin Gifford, Al Monner and many others. These early photographers left a stunning visual legacy through images still considered among the greatest landscape photos ever made.

(I had the opportunity to see this exhibit Friday at the Art Museum - a "don't miss" for sure! )

wheezer

Post by wheezer » December 8th, 2008, 2:23 pm

Thanks for turning me on to this series and previously to the Oregon Field Guide. I'd forgotten what a treasure OBP is - you don't realize those things until you're gone. I watched both the CCC program and "The River They Saw" and would have watched two or three other complete series if it had been possible. Coincidently, I sent my annual contribution to my local PBS station yesterday - It's programs like these that me glad that I contribute to Public Television!