Favorite scenic spot in the Wallowas

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
texasbb

Re: Favorite scenic spot in the Wallowas

Post by texasbb » February 5th, 2012, 1:10 pm

I find it interesting that you (potentially) reject Ice Lake for lack of color. Like others above, I like Glacier Lake, but it too is kind of gray/white. So I'll withhold those pics. :) But I might suggest you expand your idea of color a bit. It seems to me the most interesting color of the Wallowas is in its geology. It's not exactly "colorful" I suppose, but it's varied and unpredictable. I'm no geologist, but I suspect the Wallowas are a geologist's paradise. It's chock full of mixed-up things like this (over Aneroid Lake):

And this (viewed from near Jewett Lake):

And this necktie thing (above Frazier Lake, sorry for the poor photo quality):

It's interesting to me how the geology changes from west to east. Polaris Pass offers a fantastic vantage point to observe the white granite to the west and the darker grays and browns to the east:

Here's a closer view to the west:

And to the east:

As for color on the ground (flowers and such), I've never thought of the Wallowas as the place to go for that. Maybe it's more colorful in the early summer--I've never been there then. But the fall colors can be nice. You can see some of those in the Polaris Pass pictures above. I forget what those things are called, but they were everywhere in mid-September:

If you do choose the Dollar Lake area, you'll be within easy reach of Polaris Pass as well as Jewett Lake and its nearby view down onto Aneroid Lake:

And finally, here are those meadows above Aneroid Lake everyone talks about:

You can't lose in the Wallowas.

pdxflowergirl

Post by pdxflowergirl » February 5th, 2012, 3:31 pm

As for solitude, the entire area is less crowded than most places in the Cascades. Even the lakes basin, which gets the most traffic, isn't as bad as Paradise Park on a summer weekend. The main challenges for me are the bugs and the thunderstorms - both are tricky to anticipate.

I agree w/texasbb. Ice Lake is more colorful than Glacier Lake, and IMHO one of the most beautiful lakes in the area. Translating its beauty into a 2D image is challenging and I've never seen a photograph that comes even close to the impact of visiting that lake in person. An added bonus is that the views from the Matterhorn summit are stunning - from the shimmery depths of the lakes basin to the copper-colored rocks of the Hurricane Divide and all the landscape in between.

Here are a few snapshots from a trip this past summer:

Many have already mentioned Glacier Lake, which is also beautiful (but more gray/white like texasbb pointed out). And Eagle Cap summit is accessible from this lake as well, which also has impressive panoramic vistas (along with more people). The wildflower meadows between Glacier Lake and Frazier Lake is truly a sight to behold when in full bloom. And I love the trickling alpine falls winding their way down from the lake. Definitely one of my all-time favorite hikes!

Here are a few snapshots from summer 2009:

Kam

pyles_94

Post by pyles_94 » February 5th, 2012, 6:57 pm

pdxflowergirl wrote:As for solitude, the entire area is less crowded than most places in the Cascades. Even the lakes basin, which gets the most traffic, isn't as bad as Paradise Park on a summer weekend. The main challenges for me are the bugs and the thunderstorms - both are tricky to anticipate.

I agree w/texasbb. Ice Lake is more colorful than Glacier Lake, and IMHO one of the most beautiful lakes in the area. Translating its beauty into a 2D image is challenging and I've never seen a photograph that comes even close to the impact of visiting that lake in person. An added bonus is that the views from the Matterhorn summit are stunning - from the shimmery depths of the lakes basin to the copper-colored rocks of the Hurricane Divide and all the landscape in between.

Here are a few snapshots from a trip this past summer:

Many have already mentioned Glacier Lake, which is also beautiful (but more gray/white like texasbb pointed out). And Eagle Cap summit is accessible from this lake as well, which also has impressive panoramic vistas (along with more people). The wildflower meadows between Glacier Lake and Frazier Lake is truly a sight to behold when in full bloom. And I love the trickling alpine falls winding their way down from the lake. Definitely one of my all-time favorite hikes!

Here are a few snapshots from summer 2009:

Where is the second of your shots taken? That view is cool.

By saying Ice lake, it was a typo/misunderstanding on my part. I meant Glacier lake, which is very grey, like many have noted. I actually didn't know what ice lake proper looked like...

What I meant by color, is that the peaks, whether they be white, or grey, or whatever, can be offset by the color in the foreground-- greens, yellows, blue lakes, etc. The area around Polaris looks really cool to me. I want to go early summer (relative to the area, so it would be as soon as the snow melts in the high area, probably mid-late july??) for the greens.

As per thunderstorms, being a photographer, I actually want the T storms! What time of year for that??
Jamey Pyles

Koda

Post by Koda » February 5th, 2012, 8:03 pm

pyles_94 wrote: ....I want to go early summer (relative to the area, so it would be as soon as the snow melts in the high area, probably mid-late july??) for the greens.

As per thunderstorms, being a photographer, I actually want the T storms! What time of year for that??
like everyone else, you'll have to keep an eye on trip reports to know when the trails are clear. Especially in the higher elevations. By my guess, late July early Aug at best. My trip last summer was over Labor Day weekend. As far as thunderstorms good luck predicting. The weekend we were there was the biggest show ever... we enjoyed an all night display strobe effect on our tent. All I can say is thank God we were not camped up high like we were the night before... (little did I know, it was the same day the Dollar Lake fire started). If there was ever a peak for forest fire season, that would be the time.

Kam... those are beautiful photos. Incredible.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark » February 5th, 2012, 8:10 pm

If you've never experieced all that granite during a full or mostly full moon- I would highly reccomend scheduling your trip to catch it. Cross country by moonlight in the Wallowas is magical.
Joy in the universe, and keen curiosity about it all - that has been my religion.
- John Burroughs

Helen

Post by Helen » February 5th, 2012, 8:16 pm

Aardvark wrote:Cross country by moonlight in the Wallowas is magical.
Wow, I have to do that!!!

I went to the Eagle Cap wilderness for the first time last summer on the spur of the moment. I haven't been able to quit thinking about it. I want my ashes spread there. It has a hold of me and I feel like I belong there (but only during the two months of warm weather).

pdxflowergirl

Post by pdxflowergirl » February 6th, 2012, 10:03 am

pyles_94 wrote:Where is the second of your shots taken? That view is cool.
I was returning to Ice Lake from the Matterhorn summit. Click here to see the TR.
Kam

R11

Post by R11 » February 6th, 2012, 6:14 pm

While the rock immediately around Glacier Lake is pretty blah, with the right light it can still be interesting:
DSC_0301-DSC_0304SEsmall.jpg
DSC_0265-DSC_0268SE2small.jpg

ron

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » February 6th, 2012, 10:45 pm

This isn't quite what you asked, but if you hike in from the end of the Lostine River Road up to Mirror Lake, you get up to the alpine area quicker, about 6 miles to Mirror Lake which is about as scenic as it gets, then you can go on to Glacier Lake, Eagle Cap, etc.

I did this 30 years ago and was planning on doing it last summer but plans got derailed - maybe next summer.

drm

Post by drm » February 8th, 2012, 8:19 am

It's hard to go wrong in the Wallowas. But you mentioned Traverse Lake in your original post and I didn't see a response to it, so I wanted to support that. Continue past it to Wonker Pass and down the other side. The views are top notch for the Wallowas and the crowds are nothing like the north side.

You also mentioned Copper Creek Meadow. Assuming this is what I think it is (an hour or two up Copper Creek from the West Fork of the Lostine), that is also very nice for creeks and lush grass meadows.
traverse_lk.jpg
Traverse Lake from Wonker Pass
eaglecrk 036.jpg
Looking up at Wonker Pass from the opposite side (from Traverse)