Favorite scenic spot in the Wallowas

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
llamero

Re: Favorite scenic spot in the Wallowas

Post by llamero » February 13th, 2012, 1:32 pm

After Labor Day the crowds drop off quite a bit. My pics come from a Canon point and shoot so they are not the best quality, but the locations are spectacular.

The hike up East Lostine River is stunning.
Eagle Cap.jpg
Hidden Lake has merit.
Hidden Lake.jpg
Swamp Lake
IMG_0170.JPG
Sometimes you find neat stuff when you stop and look around.
DSCN0202.JPG
Enjoy

Lidka2

Post by Lidka2 » August 2nd, 2018, 6:47 am

Hello to All,

I'm planning a trip to Wallowas next week and I've been reading this forum for the last 2 days and I'm still far from being done- so much great info!! Thank you all! :)
I'm from San Diego and this trip will be my second visit to a beautiful Oregon. Hopefully with a bit better views this time (last year my trip to Mt Hood was a bit less picturesque due to fire haze) -- fingers crossed!

Anyway, as I was browsing through the forum I found this old topic and I did love the picture of the lovely tabletop. It was mentioned it's near Sunshine lake and that's exactly were we plan to stop for our 3rd night. So I'm hoping for some info on how find it. Exact GPS coordinates work too. ;)

Thank you again for tones of good stuff on this forum. Amazing!

BigBear

Post by BigBear » August 2nd, 2018, 8:33 am

Carper Pass and Glacier Pass - they were two breathtaking vistas.

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » August 2nd, 2018, 8:50 am

Ice Lake is (relatively speaking) easy to get to and often crowded. But with the right lighting, Matterhorn above the west side of the lake can be quite colorful.
Ice Lake at sunrise

If you’re up for a climb, some of the vistas from the ridge above Ice Lake are amazing.
Matterhorn from the ridge

The Lakes Basin has lots of great views & also lots of visitors…

Aimless

Post by Aimless » August 2nd, 2018, 8:51 am

As was said earlier in this thread, you can hardly go wrong in the Wallowas. Mirror Lake and the Lakes Basin is by far the most popular spot and it gets rather crowded in August. I've been in most of the central, highest and most scenic part of the Eagle Cap wilderness and it always puzzles me why they are relatively empty compared to the Lakes Basin area. The scenery is just as wonderful and the solitude is a bonus. If you are ok with a strenuous hike (3000+ ft. elevation gain and 900 ft. loss in 9 miles), Frances Lake is spectacular and I've never seen more than three other people there aside from me. More often I am alone there.

Lidka2

Post by Lidka2 » August 2nd, 2018, 11:47 am

BigBear wrote:
August 2nd, 2018, 8:33 am
Carper Pass and Glacier Pass - they were two breathtaking vistas.
Hi BigBear,

Yes, both included in my itinerary! I can't wait to enjoy them!

Lidka2

Post by Lidka2 » August 2nd, 2018, 11:54 am

Aimless wrote:
August 2nd, 2018, 8:51 am
Mirror Lake and the Lakes Basin is by far the most popular spot and it gets rather crowded in August.
Hi Aimless,

I've somehow accepted the fact it will be crowded. So I do not plan on staying close to the Mirror Lake but rather closer to Sunshine Lake (hence my question about the gorgeous tabletop from one of the pictures) or along the trail to Eagle Cap, above Mirror Lake.
Aimless wrote:
I've been in most of the central, highest and most scenic part of the Eagle Cap wilderness and it always puzzles me why they are relatively empty compared to the Lakes Basin area. The scenery is just as wonderful and the solitude is a bonus.
I bet there are other areas that are as beautiful but perhaps not as famous. I guess it's a bit like Half Dome. One just has to do it! :)
Aimless wrote:
If you are ok with a strenuous hike (3000+ ft. elevation gain and 900 ft. loss in 9 miles), Frances Lake is spectacular and I've never seen more than three other people there aside from me. More often I am alone there.
I'm ok with the effort, in fact that's what I'm looking for when backpacking. But unfortunately we need to start from Wallowa Lake TH this time around. But I marked it in my book for the next time around. It definitively seems I will not have enough after one visit!

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 2nd, 2018, 12:39 pm

Within about 1/4 mile north of Mirror Lake is a flat area with lots of possible campsites. I think no matter how crowded the area is, you could find a good spot there.

Another spot is Upper Lake, on the way to Eagle Cap. But it's sort of limited so if there's someone already there you might want to find another spot. You could probably just continue on the trail to Eagle Cap and find something.

Eagle Cap is probably as scenic as any spot in the Wallowas. When I was last there it was smokey, it seems to be a bad year for that.

Lidka2

Post by Lidka2 » August 3rd, 2018, 4:49 am

Within about 1/4 mile north of Mirror Lake is a flat area with lots of possible campsites. I think no matter how crowded the area is, you could find a good spot there.
Thank you Jerry!

It's seems there are good spots in every direction. I also read about good sites up toward Carper Pass.
Yet, I'm still a bit obsessed about finding this tabletop... ;)

texasbb

Post by texasbb » August 3rd, 2018, 9:16 am

Sunshine Lake is barely a tenth of a mile from Mirror Lake... practically the same area. It's not hard to find the few spots near Sunshine.

Sunshine does present one of the best morning photo ops in the area:. http://texasbb.net/files/Wallowa-Loop-2 ... index.html