Wilson River Homesteaders and Early Land Holders

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Roy

Re: Wilson River Homesteaders and Early Land Holders

Post by Roy » January 9th, 2012, 3:40 pm

mayhem wrote:Cool! Thanks for sharing...finally! :). I remember you telling me about the mayhem area on our end of 2011 garter hike!
as much time as you spend down there something needs to be named after you so the next generations know about the WRT wildman :D
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

Fishinandgold

Post by Fishinandgold » March 11th, 2015, 2:47 pm

So what's up with the Devil's Lake Fork of the Wilson? I can't find Devil's lake for the life of me!

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 11th, 2015, 3:51 pm

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=324852

"One of the main things I'm looking for is why they call the upper reaches of the river the Devil's Lake Fork?"

"Try the inter net" - ha, ha, ha,...

"I dun tryed that"

"Devils Lake is on the the north fork just above the west fork of the little north fork road. It is about two acers and close to the road but easy to drive by because of the thick brush .there were some real nice trout and big crawdads back in the 70s"

"I'm guessing the Devils Lake part refers to big patches of Devils Club in the flat upper basin, but that is a guess."

etc.

and welcome

Koda

Post by Koda » March 11th, 2015, 4:12 pm

Fishinandgold wrote:So what's up with the Devil's Lake Fork of the Wilson? I can't find Devil's lake for the life of me!
Im going to take a guess that its this : http://www.hillmap.com/m/ag1zfmhpbGxtYX ... ICg0dvgCAw

if you switch to a map layer the Devils Lake Fork is real close to this. I wouldnt call this a lake though.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

ScottAtwater

Post by ScottAtwater » April 20th, 2023, 10:43 am

Hello,
I have an early map of all the homesteaders and land holders along the Wilson River Stage Road with all homestead locations and names if you are interested. The information is from Helen Luebke's journey, and the information was compiled by her husband George Luebke. The map was drawn by R.L. Benson circa 1968. I have tried to attach a digital copy of the map which is very informational, but I failed. If you can instruct me how to attach it here, I will try again, or simply send me your email address and I will send over a digital copy.
Regards,
Scott C. Sheldon - §
(ScottAtwater)

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 20th, 2023, 11:38 am

What's the web address of the digital map?

Or I'll PM you my email address