Old Maid Flat/Ramona Falls bridge closing 12/1/21

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
adamschneider

Old Maid Flat/Ramona Falls bridge closing 12/1/21

Post by adamschneider » November 29th, 2021, 6:34 pm

Do they do this every winter? I know I've driven to the Ramona Falls Trailhead in December before, but that was a few years ago...

20211128_154213.jpg

retired jerry

Re: Old Maid Flat/Ramona Falls bridge closing 12/1/21

Post by retired jerry » November 30th, 2021, 6:27 am

I think it's been open all winter before, but they usually close it.

I don't see why they bother. Other roads stay open in the winter. Are they worried about people going there and getting stuck?

It only adds a few miles to walk from the closed gate. The area between the gate and the trailhead is nicer when there aren't any people there.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » November 30th, 2021, 5:29 pm

Dec 1 is the traditional date to close the gate, in my experience.
I find it annoying.

Charley

Post by Charley » November 30th, 2021, 6:35 pm

My ski buddy and I skied down from SkiBowl to Trillium Lake the day before Thanksgiving. It was a lovely ski, but marred by lots and lots of traffic on the roads below the highway, and all the way down to the parking area at the bottom of the lake.

I can certainly understand why the residents and owners of the cottages nearer the highway might have access to those properties. . . but as far as I can tell the traffic was all joy riders out testing their big trucks on the deep snow. Trillium is one of the most popular, most easily accessed skiing areas on the mountain, and particularly with families with young children. It makes little sense to me to leave it ungated so late!

On the other hand, Old Maid Flats leads to a popular hike that is open much of the year, and is relatively rarely covered by snow deep enough to ski. Why gate it???

I'm sure the FS has reasons, but I do wonder if they just lock all the gates on some arbitrary date, regardless of snow cover or recreational use.
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

naturallog

Post by naturallog » December 2nd, 2021, 12:53 pm

I swear I read something about the closure being for wildlife. The best information I can find is from this facebook post from the forest in 2019: https://www.facebook.com/mthoodnf/photo ... 560752096/
ALERT! ⚠️Annual winter road closures will begin in a few weeks. Recreation managers will be closing gates on the west side of the forest on Monday Dec. 2 which includes restricting vehicle access to the popular Trillium Lake and Old Maid Flats. Seasonal closures on the east side of the forest will begin Dec. 2 week as well.

ABOUT SEASONAL ROAD CLOSURES:
Many of Mt. Hood National Forest Roads are closed December 1st through early spring to provide range land for deer, elk, and wild turkeys and due to seasonal snowpack. Winter is an especially stressful time for these animals. The closed roads help avoid the added stress of vehicular traffic.