Catalytic Converter stolen at Hantwick TH (Lucia/Moulton)

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Chip Down

Catalytic Converter stolen at Hantwick TH (Lucia/Moulton)

Post by Chip Down » August 5th, 2021, 12:30 pm

Today was possibly the most expensive hike of my life. Certainly in the top two.

If I were given to political rants, I might observe that the government forces us to buy catalytic converters, but do nothing to stop their theft (unless I'm overlooking something, which I realize is remotely possible). Fortunately, it's not in my nature to complain about such things.

Aimless

Re: Catalytic Converter stolen at Hantwick TH (Lucia/Moulton)

Post by Aimless » August 5th, 2021, 3:33 pm

Chip Down wrote:
August 5th, 2021, 12:30 pm
government forces us to buy catalytic converters, but do nothing to stop their theft
To quote a well-known line from the movie Max Max:Fury Road, "That's bait." Otherwise, sorry to hear of your loss. :(

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » August 5th, 2021, 4:42 pm

I think people were too hard on that movie. Of course it was ridiculous, over the top, absurd. It was supposed to be.
Thunderdome, on the other hand, I can't bring myself to watch.
By the way, I saw a Mel Gibson movie a couple days ago that was really interesting, about......oh, wait, topic drift, Bad Chip, bad!

Cat replacement will be $2100. That's a third of the vehicle's bluebook value. Some people would walk away from it or get creative, but I'm the original owner, so I know it's a good solid vehicle that's worth keeping.

teachpdx

Post by teachpdx » August 5th, 2021, 5:24 pm

If you happen to have full coverage, insurance should cover the cost of a new catalytic converter, minus deductible.

Sorry this happened to you. I always have that minute or two of dread about five minutes from finishing a hike where I’m hoping my car is still there, in one piece, with all its windows and tires still there. Especially if I’ve left it for a few days, or at trailheads closer to where all the good-ol-boys are out shooting things.
instagram: @remyodyssey

Limey

Post by Limey » August 5th, 2021, 7:24 pm

So sorry to hear about your loss. Time to start electrifying your car? A nice shocking deterrent might go a long way. Isn't trailhead security one of the six requirements for them to be able to charge us to park and hike?

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 6th, 2021, 6:24 am

Too bad that happened

Whenever I get back to my car I carefully check it to make sure all windows and tires are still intact, a little short of dreading it though :)

Actually I'm sort of surprised my car is almost always intact

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » August 6th, 2021, 8:54 am

Catalytic Converter theft is becoming pretty commonplace. They need to control the buyers of these and vehicle manufactures need to make them more difficult to steal.

I'm sorry to hear this happened.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » August 6th, 2021, 9:29 am

I'm sorry that happened to you. Must have been a noisy ride back home!

It shouldn't cost nearly that much though, plus it's something you could easily do yourself - unless the thieves did some other damage, that is.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » August 6th, 2021, 11:20 am

Don Nelsen wrote:
August 6th, 2021, 9:29 am
I'm sorry that happened to you. Must have been a noisy ride back home!
Yikes! :shock:
I stopped at a walmart on the way home and headed for the gun dept for earplugs.
I guess there are kids who spend good money to get their car to sound like that.
Don Nelsen wrote:
August 6th, 2021, 9:29 am
It shouldn't cost nearly that much though, plus it's something you could easily do yourself - unless the thieves did some other damage, that is.
They weren't particularly delicate. Time is of the essence in that situation, and whatever else gets damaged isn't their concern.
Last edited by Chip Down on August 6th, 2021, 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » August 6th, 2021, 11:24 am

teachpdx wrote:
August 5th, 2021, 5:24 pm
If you happen to have full coverage, insurance should cover the cost of a new catalytic converter, minus deductible.
Yeah, I didn't even think of that, but it looks like this might only cost me $100. And I hear insurance companies are gentle about rate increases, because it's not a behavioral problem like speeding or DUI or something like that. I had an Outback stolen once, and I don't remember my rates going up.

Funny, when I think of all the crime I've endured in my life, I think it's been entirely automotive stuff. Theft, vandalism, break-ins, etc.