Found: Winter Gear at Lamberson Spur on Jan. 19th

Lose something on the trail? Find something? Post it here.
Sugar Pine

Found: Winter Gear at Lamberson Spur on Jan. 19th

Post by Sugar Pine » January 20th, 2020, 11:55 am

PM me if you were at Lamberson Spur this weekend and lost your gear.

Water

Re: Found: Winter Gear at Lamberson Spur on Jan. 19th

Post by Water » January 20th, 2020, 3:26 pm

removed
Last edited by Water on May 6th, 2020, 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feel Free to Feel Free

Sugar Pine

Post by Sugar Pine » January 20th, 2020, 8:32 pm

We snowshoed from Polallie on Sunday. It was a nice, clear day. The route was well-traveled and packed up to the Tamanawas Tie Trail. Some tracks continued to the Lamberson Spur trail and from there we followed tracks from one person for 0.7 miles. We continued on breaking trail for another mile, but we lost the trail and ended up punching through the snow where small trees and fallen logs were covered and not visible, so we weren't making much progress. We never made it to the burn area. Did get views of Mt Hood, Mt Rainier, and Mt Adams through the trees. We haven't hiked Lamberson Spur in the summer, we need to so we know where the trail is. :roll:

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » January 21st, 2020, 8:49 am

Sugar Pine wrote:
January 20th, 2020, 8:32 pm
We never made it to the burn area. Did get views of Mt Hood, Mt Rainier, and Mt Adams through the trees. We haven't hiked Lamberson Spur in the summer, we need to so we know where the trail is. :roll:
It's a lovely ridge, but as Water alluded not much for accessibility. No trail, at all really, once to (or a bit into) the burn.

capture.jpg
Approximate spot where "trail" ends.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Sugar Pine

Post by Sugar Pine » January 21st, 2020, 12:39 pm

We didn't quite make it to your end of the trail waypoint. Before getting to the end of the trail, does the actual trail follow the red line or the maroon/black line on your map? I am using Gaia and different maps show the trail in different places. Thanks. I am looking forward to trying this route again.

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » January 21st, 2020, 12:49 pm

The Lamberson Spur trail currently ends at that clearing with the stack of rocks where they staged firefighting equipment for the Gnarl Ridge fire. If you look at the mountain from that spot, there are bits of use path heading toward it and slightly to your right (if I recall correctly), but from there on you're basically on your own, DIY. I did that route in November and there is tons of blowdown from there until you get to about the 5800 ft contour on Karl's map, which is where the burn ends.
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » January 21st, 2020, 12:59 pm

I just updated OpenStreetMap from the Strava Heatmap data. It’s a heatmap of all the fitness trackers that go up there and it’s likely the most accurate source. It’s good data until the sharp crook in the route from south to west, then it’s anyone’s guess but you can at least see where people go to get to the burn. I don’t know how often Gaia updates the basemap, but you can at least view in on the OpenStreetMap layer right now (clear cache), they don’t let you download OSM. Other OSM sources, Mapbox, GaiaTopo, should update within a few weeks but the OSM path was close enough before I fixed it a little.
1.jpeg
Screen Region 2020-01-21 at 13.08.45.png
- Michael

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » January 21st, 2020, 1:07 pm

Sugar Pine wrote:
January 21st, 2020, 12:39 pm
We didn't quite make it to your end of the trail waypoint. Before getting to the end of the trail, does the actual trail follow the red line or the maroon/black line on your map? I am using Gaia and different maps show the trail in different places. Thanks. I am looking forward to trying this route again.
That darkish maroon line is the old USFS trail alignment, which never really did match the actual trail. The red line on my earlier map was our actual GPS track. Shown below our track (purple) almost exactly matches the far superior Caltopo MapBuilder layer (red), while the USFS linework (dashed black) wanders all over. Beyond the sharp switchback, you just need to take the path least (HA!) resistance, as Bosterson suggests.

Capture.PNG
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Sugar Pine

Post by Sugar Pine » January 21st, 2020, 5:01 pm

Awesome, thank you. The Gaia base map and Open Street (as seen on Gaia) match the red line. Good to know to ignore the old USFS alignment, until there is no trail to follow.