Gmap4 - Enhanced Google Map viewer with topographic maps

Cartography, maps, navigation, GPS and more.
adamschneider

Re: Gmap4 - Enhanced Google Map viewer with topographic maps

Post by adamschneider » May 15th, 2018, 7:49 am

RobFromRedland wrote:
May 15th, 2018, 7:16 am
adamschneider wrote:
May 11th, 2018, 10:09 pm
Joseph, I'm in the same boat with GPS Visualizer. Until/unless I can get up and running with Leaflet, one thing I'm going to do is let people supply their own Google Maps API Key. You might try something similar with Gmap4.
That was my thought as well. If there was a way to specify a user key in the calls, then it would continue to work.
The problem, of course, is that in order to get your own key, you now have to supply Google with a credit card number. Ordinary users will never trip the quota and get billed, but that's going to dissuade people for sure.

Joseph Elfelt

Post by Joseph Elfelt » May 15th, 2018, 8:27 am

Also Google's revised terms of service say don't do stuff to try and get around the much lower allocation of free API downloads.

https://cloud.google.com/maps-platform/terms
3.2.4 Restrictions Against Misusing the Services.
(e) No Circumventing Fees. Customer will not circumvent the applicable Fees. For example, Customer will not create multiple billing accounts or Projects to avoid incurring Fees; prevent Google from accurately calculating Customer’s Service usage levels; abuse any free Service quotas; or offer access to the Services under a “time-sharing” or “service bureau” model.

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » May 15th, 2018, 10:51 am

Joseph Elfelt wrote:
May 15th, 2018, 8:27 am
Also Google's revised terms of service say don't do stuff to try and get around the much lower allocation of free API downloads.

(e) No Circumventing Fees. Customer will not circumvent the applicable Fees. For example, Customer will not create multiple billing accounts or Projects to avoid incurring Fees; prevent Google from accurately calculating Customer’s Service usage levels; abuse any free Service quotas; or offer access to the Services under a “time-sharing” or “service bureau” model.
so much for "don't be evil"..... :evil:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » May 15th, 2018, 11:48 am

Joseph Elfelt wrote:

That sucks, but "service bureau model" is very subjective, and there's lots of room for interpretation. Given that GPS Visualizer's maps are mostly designed to be downloaded and used by the person who created them, I'm probably OK. But Gmap4 — and GPS Visualizer's similar "Atlas" feature — are potentially more problematic.

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » May 15th, 2018, 2:41 pm

Couldn't an API key just be stored under a logged in user name or session cookie if you don't want to have logins?
- Michael

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » May 16th, 2018, 12:21 pm

Joseph Elfelt wrote:

If they're charging for hits on their servers, ... How about hosting the API code on your own server, rather than pointing to Google's? I've done that in the past, with deprecated code, when I couldn't update on their schedule. I suppose they wouldn't appreciate the spirit of easing their burden rather than padding their pocket, huh? :|
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » May 16th, 2018, 1:16 pm

kepPNW wrote:
May 16th, 2018, 12:21 pm
If they're charging for hits on their servers, ... How about hosting the API code on your own server, rather than pointing to Google's? I've done that in the past, with deprecated code, when I couldn't update on their schedule. I suppose they wouldn't appreciate the spirit of easing their burden rather than padding their pocket, huh? :|
Google is made of money. I'm sure this is not about some kind of budget reconciliation, but rather about reducing 3rd party competition. Presumably there are larger entities than Gmap or Caltopo using the API that Google will now either milk for money or effectively shut down; smaller entities would then just be collateral damage.
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » May 16th, 2018, 7:21 pm

aiwetir wrote:
May 15th, 2018, 2:41 pm
Couldn't an API key just be stored under a logged in user name or session cookie if you don't want to have logins?
I plan to use cookies. My concern is that just GETTING a key will be a significant hurdle for many people.

Joseph Elfelt

Post by Joseph Elfelt » May 16th, 2018, 7:37 pm

I have not looked at the kind of info Google requires to get a key. But since keys are intended for software developers I am guessing most people will be spooked by the questions and/or unable to answer. Plus there is the requirement to give Google your credit card # and agree to be charged if you exceed the free API download allocation.

Guy

Post by Guy » May 16th, 2018, 8:53 pm

adamschneider wrote:
May 16th, 2018, 7:21 pm
aiwetir wrote:
May 15th, 2018, 2:41 pm
I plan to use cookies. My concern is that just GETTING a key will be a significant hurdle for many people.
I have an old API key from the early days of using your GPS visualizer Adam, haven't done anything with it in years but so you that that would still be good if needed.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors