Open Source TOPO map/GPS software...

Cartography, maps, navigation, GPS and more.
Guy

Re: Open Source TOPO map/GPS software...

Post by Guy » May 19th, 2013, 8:01 am

retired jerry wrote:When I got my GPS I installed MapSource because that's what they had

Should I install BaseCamp?

I have both loaded Jerry, Mapsource is not longer supported or updated Basecamp is. That being said I don't like it very much I don't find it to be very intuative but that could be just me prefering what I am used to. I use it when I have to but if I'm just laying down a track on a map or off loading the GPS unit I still prefer to do that with Mapsource.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Guy

Post by Guy » May 19th, 2013, 8:10 am

Rainrunner,

Once you have either Basecamp or Mapsource installed I would recommend you get Eric's (free) Gorge+ mapset from his website. you can download it here:
http://www.trailfriendsforever.com/word ... age_id=192

If you hike around Mt Hood & the Gorge, I think this is the best map you can get.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » May 19th, 2013, 8:31 am

I've never used MapSource, so all I know is second-hand. I have heard some long-time users have had some trouble adapting to a few differences. But never heard any regrets from folks, once they got used to BaseCamp.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Koda

Post by Koda » May 19th, 2013, 10:05 am

it sounds to me that in my list I don't need to include Mapsource and just leave the Basecamp link...

also, I added Eric's mapset to the list (complete maps category). Here is a link to jump to the first page: http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/vie ... =33&t=5999

Rainrunner (actually all):

When I used Windows, I used the freeware version of EasyGPS software to interface with my Garmin device. It was so simple to upload/download GPX files I never bothered with installing Garmin software... which (and correct me anyone if I am wrong) will save your GPS file as a proprietary Garmin file format making it useless in other software applications. Easy GPS also has basic track editing function that was easy to use. My point is, make certain your hard work is not limited to only one proprietary software application which in time is only going to change (for better or worse), become obsolete (like NGTOPO) or cost more money to upgrade.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » May 19th, 2013, 12:02 pm

I've been using MapSource ever since I got my 60csx, but I actually installed BaseCamp a while back just to see what it was. While it looked nicer than MapSource, I found it difficult to use, so have gone back to using MapSource exclusively (to get the tracks off my GPS).

I still wish I could find a good piece of software that will "fix" my tracks, especially the "chatter" that occurs when you stop. I usually go in and manually remove those track points to try and get a more accurate track. The best I've seen thus far has been GPS Prune, but it still isn't quite smart enough to do a good job.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

Koda

Post by Koda » May 19th, 2013, 12:22 pm

RobFromRedland wrote:
I still wish I could find a good piece of software that will "fix" my tracks, especially the "chatter" that occurs when you stop.
I only have limited experience with this but have done it once with Prune.... seemed to give the most options.
But worth mentioning a more simpler 'one click' option is to use either GPSies or Hillmap, both have a one click simplify option....

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » May 19th, 2013, 3:33 pm

Koda wrote:
RobFromRedland wrote:
I still wish I could find a good piece of software that will "fix" my tracks, especially the "chatter" that occurs when you stop.
I only have limited experience with this but have done it once with Prune.... seemed to give the most options.
But worth mentioning a more simpler 'one click' option is to use either GPSies or Hillmap, both have a one click simplify option....
Does it do a good job and keep the track intact? What I've found is one of two things:
  • It doesn't cleanup the chatter very well.
  • It WAY oversimplifies the track and you lose detail in areas you really want to keep.
I may see if I can dig up an unmolested track to see how they work.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

Koda

Post by Koda » May 19th, 2013, 3:56 pm

Yes, they way oversimplifies the track loosing detail you might need.

I havent needed to do much editing, but when I do its painfully slow. I if anyone finds an application that works for editing well I would be grateful if you shared...

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » May 19th, 2013, 7:40 pm

Koda wrote:I never bothered with installing Garmin software... which (and correct me anyone if I am wrong) will save your GPS file as a proprietary Garmin file format making it useless in other software applications.
MapSource used some weird format, yeah. BaseCamp uses dirt-standard GPX.
Koda wrote:I havent needed to do much editing, but when I do its painfully slow. I if anyone finds an application that works for editing well I would be grateful if you shared...
BaseCamp is also my preferred way for making quick touch-ups to the track, because it seems to adjust the elevation along with the lat/long when you move a point. That's huge, IMO.

You can delete chatter points as quickly, with BaseCamp, as you can hit the Delete key, too. I use TopoFusion sometimes, to edit, and there area few advantages (mainly, lasso'ing a bunch of points at once, to delete), but not many.

I've never found a generalization algorithm worth a crap, though. Writing a good one is extraordinarily tough!
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » May 19th, 2013, 8:05 pm

If I want to make a track to use on future hikes, I just use Mapsource and go through point by point and manually delete about 90% of the points. It takes a little time. Trick is to not delete real switchbacks. I notice that when I walk the trail another time that I only delete a very few real switchbacks and they're small so it doesn't matter.

It seems like a difficult software algorithm to tell the difference between real switchback and chatter.