Ideally, I would like to find something that works similar to the National Geographic TOPO program with USGS 24,000 scale maps... and of course connects with my GPS (Garmin Rhino 130).
I currently use an old National Geographic TOPO upgraded to version 4.0... which transfers way-points, but does not download tracks/routes to any GPS. Overall, I have never been happy with the interface and functionality of the NG TOPO program and actually think its a rip off since I still have to buy NF maps for road navigation.... The level 4 (100K series) maps are a joke for forest road navigation, the only usable maps are the level 5 (7.5 series) but I am finding the trails on the maps being more and more outdated. which leads me to two other questions: 1) is the brand new NG TOPO worth upgrading? 2) is the $125.00 Garmin TOPO West CD worth buying?
*edit to add the following list of electronic mapping applications...
- Edit GPS tracks list of more applications here is a list of more track editors to explore when I have time.
- Viking, Viking is a free/open source program to manage GPS data.
- Prune, GpsPrune is a free/open source application for viewing, editing and converting coordinate data from GPS systems
- http://www.topofusion.com/, proprietary software with GPX output. Windows OS only
- http://www.easygps.com/, EasyGPS is the fast and easy way to upload and download waypoints, routes, and tracks between your Windows computer and your Garmin, Magellan, or Lowrance GPS. Free Windows only
- http://www.gpsbabel.org/, the ULTIMATE GPS file translator filetype converter utility. Up/Download to any GPS device.
- Google Earth, what? your not using this already..?
- ArcGIS Explorer Desktop a free GIS viewer that gives you an easy way to explore, visualize, and share GIS information.
- Mobile Atlas Creator (MOBAC) supposedly a PC desktop utility for creating maplayers for use with Backcountry Navigator phone app. The end use of this software seems unlimited. difficult to use.
- Garmin Basecamp software to view and organize your maps, waypoints, routes, and tracks and send them to your Garmin device. Free maps from switchbacks.com load nicely for use into Basecamp software. Mac and Windows.
- http://www.gpstrackeditor.com/ freeware, windows only, what little I have used with this looks like a great software to edit, merge, split multiple tracks and waypoints into onw GPX file... getting good reviews.
- http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4_usfs_maps.html USA National Forest Topographic Maps With Trail Mileages. California, Oregon and Washington select your National Forest of choice from the list.
- http://www.hillmap.com/, create an editable route to share via email and download as GPX, measure slope angle
- caltopo.com/map.html Very detailed maps and layer controls
- http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php, Special interface when running in smartphone browsers, the only web browser topo map utility to support mobile browsing efficiently.
- gpsfly.org, upload your GPX to chart elevation gain/loss, speed, etc. and share via email.
- gpsies.com, upload your GPX to chart elevation gain/loss, speed, etc. and share via email.
- wenthiking.com/map, share route ideas via email.
- http://switchbacks.com/, Free topo maps for print and your GPS device. Uploads to your GPS device
- TopOSM, an OpenStreetMap-based topographic map, similar in style to the USGS and National Geographic topographic maps
- ACME Mapper
- http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/This is a Web app designed to let you track the precise distance of your workouts, and track and log your activity
- http://gps.fuzzac.com/ simple track/route creation, GPX import/export/editing. turn off terrain tab in map layer to zoom further into track points.
- http://www.trackprofiler.com/ bookmarked, I have not tried this yet...
- http://gpstopomaps.com/ustopo/ bookmarked
- www.peakfinder.org shows the names of all mountains and peaks with a 360° Panorama display.
- http://www.backcountrynavigator.com/ Android Phones highly recommend this, what I use and doubt I'll buy another dedicated GPS device. $10.00
- http://www.gaiagps.com/ Android and iPhone $5.00
- http://mytracks.appspot.com/ Android... free. I use this one too
- http://www.373ksoftware.com/ Windows Phone 7
- http://www.trailfriendsforever.com/word ... age_id=192 Eric Peterson's Columbia River Gorge and Mt Hood area mapset for Garmin GPS devices
- forest_park_trail_map_070711.pdf High Quality TOPO map of all trails in Forest Park.
- Forest Park Mountain Biking Map ...because I also ride. if its not on this map, its not legal to ride...
- Free bike/walk maps of Portland, excellent maps of bike routes, lanes, paths, walking trails and SW trail system for the Portland/Vancouver metro area
- http://libremap.org/data/Map and GIS Data By US State
- http://switchbacks.com/ Switchbacks.com is all about taking the trail: enlisting outdoor enthusiasts to take GPS recordings of the trails of the Great Northwest, compiling those submissions, and then distributing that data back to the community in a form that they can take with them out into the woods.
- http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/ source for GPS files including custom maps
*edited to update list as needed