Open Source TOPO map/GPS software...

Cartography, maps, navigation, GPS and more.
raven

Re: Open Source TOPO map/GPS software...

Post by raven » February 13th, 2013, 5:18 pm

I agree with EP. This topic belongs in Maps and Navigation.

Joseph Elfelt

Post by Joseph Elfelt » April 2nd, 2013, 1:24 pm

@Koda - Thanks for mentioning Gmap4 in the list of web browser utilities.
Please consider adding this text after the link:
"Special interface when running in smartphone browsers"

Gmap4 is one of the few (only?) browser map apps that automatically senses when it is running in the browser on a mobile device and displays a special interface that is easy to use on small screens. Of course browser apps, including Gmap4, only work if the browser is online.

Since writing software to work on combinations of physical device X operating system X browser is a bit of a challenge, there will be some mobile devices that do not like Gmap4's "scroll" interface. Those users can touch Menu ==> Button interface. The button interface uses dumbed-down code that should work for everyone.

Joseph, the Gmap4 guy

Koda

Post by Koda » April 2nd, 2013, 6:18 pm

Hi Joseph,

I added the note to the list on the front page. Thanks for putting your work out there for everyone to use. If there is anything I can do to contribute let me know.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

rainrunner

Post by rainrunner » May 18th, 2013, 7:31 pm

Great list of software.

But I need a primer, maybe a star rating of the software.
I have just purchased the Garmin 450t and need to take a course at REI, but beyond that, what software do I need?
I am guessing that I need one of the map software and then one of the interface software to work on my computer.
Do I download these software straight to the computer, or to my gps unit.

A very basic guide of what I need to do would be greatly appreciated.
Kevin
The mountains are calling and I must go.
John Muir

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » May 18th, 2013, 7:39 pm

I downloaded "Mapsource" to my PC. It came with GPS or you can get it from Garmin website. I think it has a different name now. Free. Allows you to download tracks and waypoints from your GPS, and upload back to GPS, also topo maps.

I had to buy topo maps to upload to GPS, but now you can get free ones from http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/ and other places.

You just have to read manual and then play with unit, eventually it becomes intuitive.

Track is a sequence of points that you traveled, then download to your PC and you can analyze. Or you can upload a track from a previous trip or someone else's, then as you're walking along you can see if you're on the right route.

Waypoints are individual points, like a peak or trailhead.

Koda

Post by Koda » May 18th, 2013, 9:18 pm

Rainrunner.

For your Garmin brand GPG device download the Mapsource software from my list. Its freeware put out by Garmin, for Garmins devices.... so it will probably be your best choice. All the software in this list, essentially does the same thing but in round about ways.... its best to match the garmin software with your garmin device.
Much of the motivation I had for searching for other options is I switched my computer to Linux which does not run Mapsource..... I spent a lot of time on Google, and just thought I'd share what I found here. I thought about rating them, but don't use them all. So far I've had good luck editing tracks with Prune, and the ease of use with Hillmap viewing my uploaded tracks is excellent and truly my favorite. I'm starting to get into storing my track files in the cloud with gpsies.com... so those are my top 3 favorites.

Also, be certain to download Eric's mapset for our area. You will need Mapsource to open that to upload to your device. I cant view it, but based on his trip reports I have no doubt its the very best source for trails in our area.... thinking about it, when I get a chance I should add his link to my complete mapset list.

Cheers

Koda

Post by Koda » May 18th, 2013, 9:33 pm

Oh, and somebody help set me straight. Which one of the Garmins software is free; Mapsource or Basecamp?

IIRC one is for editing/managing your GPS files and the other is an actual topo map...

rainrunner

Post by rainrunner » May 18th, 2013, 9:41 pm

Basemap is free.

I found the following info on a gps site:
If you don't already have some garmin maps installed you can't install the mapsource download, but you can get around that by downloading and installing basemap, then with basemap installed you can download mapsource and install it.

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/h ... -your-gps/
The mountains are calling and I must go.
John Muir

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » May 19th, 2013, 7:29 am

New users shouldn't mess with MapSource. The "new and improved" software is called BaseCamp now. It's all you need to interact with the GPS directly. (Of course, there are lots of other programs to interact with the GPS data! Although BaseCamp has some very good functionality there, too.)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » May 19th, 2013, 7:47 am

When I got my GPS I installed MapSource because that's what they had

Should I install BaseCamp?