Open Source TOPO map/GPS software...

Cartography, maps, navigation, GPS and more.
Koda

Re: Open Source TOPO map/GPS software...

Post by Koda » January 22nd, 2014, 8:48 pm

I added both switchbacks.com and gpsfiledepot.com to the list. The list is in the OP of this thread.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Koda

Post by Koda » February 7th, 2014, 10:42 am

added peakfinder.org to the list of browser utilities.

see first post in thread....

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » February 7th, 2014, 4:09 pm

Koda wrote:added peakfinder.org to the list of browser utilities.
It also has a mobile app, so you can use it in the field (without a data connection).
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Koda

Post by Koda » December 31st, 2014, 4:02 pm

added a wiki page from the OSM map project which has a list of more GPS track editor programs to explore

See first post in thread.

Ok fine, I'll add the link here: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Edit_GPS_tracks

Ultimately I've found track editor apps that do work for me on a Linux system but so far the ones that I've had time to use have been less than "user friendly" so I end up only using them if I really really need to. In the link I shared is one that looks promising that works on all 3 common operating systems called GpsMaster. When I get time I will check it out. The dilemma with many of these open source Linux apps is they are designed by rocket scientists for rocket scientists. I just want to push a button and have it clean up the track, merge or cut, place or delete waypoints, show accurate elevation/profile data and easily display over a modern USGS map like the ones from Caltopo (not the crappy OSM "cycle" topo map).