Open Source TOPO map/GPS software...

Cartography, maps, navigation, GPS and more.
Koda

Re: Open Source TOPO map/GPS software...

Post by Koda » January 1st, 2012, 11:40 am

pablo wrote:Slightly off topic but I just ran into the problem of NG TOPO! not exporting tracks in GPX .....
not really that far off topic. That exact reason is why I started looking for other mapping solutions. Personally, the best I have found is Topofusion... but it does not run on linux which I use.

GPSBabel saves the day when it comes to file conversions... especially all those old NG TOPO! files into GPX.

There are a handful of mapping browser utilities out there now like GPSVisualizer. I have that one bookmarked and use occasionally, but find it not user friendly for my simple needs.... at the very least I want to view my track on a decent topo map but never get the one I want.

Adding Hillmap.com to the browser mapping utility list. super simple and editable routes can be shared via email. Created routes can be downloaded as a track in a GPX file for use in a GPS device.... note you have a DL option as either a route or track file, the latter showing up on your device as a continuous line... easier to follow on a GPS screen (YMMV). I find this one of the most useful utilities for route planning, especially ski touring or anything off trail.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Koda

Post by Koda » January 3rd, 2012, 6:23 pm

Koda wrote:
*edit to add the following list of electronic mapping applications...
Software:
  • Viking, Viking is a free/open source program to manage GPS data.
  • Prune, GpsPrune is a free/open source application for viewing, editing and converting coordinate data from GPS systems
  • http://www.topofusion.com/, proprietary software with GPX output. Windows OS only :(
  • http://www.easygps.com/, EasyGPS is the fast and easy way to upload and download waypoints, routes, and tracks between your Windows computer and your Garmin, Magellan, or Lowrance GPS. Free :) Windows only :(
  • http://www.gpsbabel.org/, the ULTIMATE GPS file translator filetype converter utility. Up/Download to any GPS device.
  • Google Earth, what? your not using this already..?
Web Browser Utilites: I'm certain there are more feel free to add your favorite. Some of these I have used or tried, the majority I have not... Will update the list as I find more.
enjoy
*edit to add GPSBabel...
*edit to add Google Earth...
Last edited by Koda on January 3rd, 2012, 8:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » January 3rd, 2012, 6:43 pm

This is a great topic Koda, I am actually working on making my own GPS mapsets with
more accurate tracks. Using NW Topos as the topo layer and simply, well not very simply,
adding my GPS tracks 'over the top' as it were.

Briefly saw some OSM utilities that also are used in Garmin files, but didn't look directly
at Open Street as a possible topo source but those OSM topo's look sweet! :)

Doing another test right now to my GPS for different trail colors . . .

Koda

Post by Koda » January 3rd, 2012, 7:00 pm

Thanks Eric, I started this list a while back out of frustration not being able to save my work from NG TOPO! in GPX format after paying for it.... limited to one state only. I should note that I believe ALL of the items I listed are either freeware or free/open source except Topofusion.... which in my opinion is worth buying, covers the whole world, editing and GPX output... (I just dont use Windows, but the demo version at my work is sweeeeet)

My favorites I use regularly are Hillmap, Viking and GPSbabel.... OMG, I forgot to add that.... post edit coming up....

and on a side note for Windows users, EasyGPS is freeware that really works great for up/downloading from your device and basic track/waypoint editing.

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » January 3rd, 2012, 8:37 pm

I'll put in another plug for TopoFusion. A good program - the author is also open to suggestions on features and improvements. I shelled out the dough for it and haven't regretted it one bit.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

Koda

Post by Koda » January 7th, 2012, 5:56 pm

added new category for complete map sets
Koda wrote:
Software:
  • Viking, Viking is a free/open source program to manage GPS data.
  • Prune, GpsPrune is a free/open source application for viewing, editing and converting coordinate data from GPS systems
  • http://www.topofusion.com/, proprietary software with GPX output. Windows OS only :(
  • http://www.easygps.com/, EasyGPS is the fast and easy way to upload and download waypoints, routes, and tracks between your Windows computer and your Garmin, Magellan, or Lowrance GPS. Free :) Windows only :(
  • http://www.gpsbabel.org/, the ULTIMATE GPS file translator filetype converter utility. Up/Download to any GPS device.
  • Google Earth, what? your not using this already..?
Web Browser Utilites: Complete Maps and Misc:

Dustin DuBois

Post by Dustin DuBois » January 9th, 2012, 12:41 pm

I tried a couple of the sites from that list, gpsfly.org and gpsies.com and the same GPX file gets me 2 different sets of results.

From GPSies.com:
Elevation Gain: 1433 ft
Elevation Loss: 1470 ft
Min Elevation: 298 ft
Max Elevation: 1125 ft

From gpsfly.org:
Elevation Gain: 2126.68 ft
Elevation Loss: 2171.95 ft
Min Elevation: 297.57 ft
Max Elevation: 1125.33 ft

The Min/Max elevations are pretty much the same (gpsies rounded the numbers) but there's about 700ft difference in elevation gain/loss between the two sites' interpretations of the gpx file.

GPSies has an option to re-calculate the elevation, which I selected - but it didn't change anything. I re-uploaded the file to gpsfly and it gave me the same information as last time.

I'm confused as to why they would have different information and which one I should use.
Hi!

Koda

Post by Koda » January 9th, 2012, 2:21 pm

HeadIdiot wrote:I tried a couple of the sites from that list, gpsfly.org and gpsies.com and the same GPX file gets me 2 different sets of results.....

I'm confused as to why they would have different information and which one I should use.
excellent observation. If someone can validate the accuracy of one or the other I would add a note or even consider deleting the errant application from the list.

I have been using GPSies lately because it interfaces with GPSPrune software I mentioned in my list.... the two seem to be related to each other somehow and GPSies is linked with the Open Street Map project which is a pretty major project. My instinct tells me to trust the GPSies sites programming. When I get a chance I will compare a GPX file of my own with NG TOPO and others. No point in using inaccurate information for our efforts.

Dustin DuBois

Post by Dustin DuBois » January 9th, 2012, 3:49 pm

I also suspect the GPSies results to be more accurate, I don't think I managed to get double the elevation gain out of the Marquam Trail Council Crest hike =D. That's a shame though because I do like the gpsfly interface better.
Hi!

Koda

Post by Koda » January 9th, 2012, 4:48 pm

HeadIdiot wrote:I also suspect the GPSies results to be more accurate...
I compared a GPX file I posted on GPSies with the same using NG TOPO! software installed on my machine. Here is the comparison

GPSies
  • Elevation Gain: 531'
  • Elevation Loss: 515'
  • Total Distance: 9.07 miles
  • Max Elevation: 594'
  • Min Elevation: 210'

NG TOPO!
  • Elevation Gain: 496'
  • Elevation Loss: 485'
  • Total Distance: 9 miles
  • Max Elevation: 602'
  • Min Elevation: 206'

So... the greatest difference shows up in EG/EL categories and are not that far off IMO. These two applications seem to validate each other.