Open Source TOPO map/GPS software...

Cartography, maps, navigation, GPS and more.
kepPNW

Re: Open Source TOPO map/GPS software...

Post by kepPNW » May 29th, 2013, 5:22 pm

RobFromRedland wrote:used GPS Track Editor to clean up the tracks - between the filter local inconsistencies and filter by value (using 5mph), it did a great job of cleaning up the track.
What's the goal with the 5mph filter? I haven't tried that one yet, so I'm not sure what I'd be looking for.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » May 29th, 2013, 6:17 pm

Well, I don't hike THAT fast..... :lol: It will remove points that show a speed that is 5mph or greater. Some tracks I'll have points that have me going 5, 6, 7 MPH, and that just can't be accurate. Those are the points I would remove if I do it manually and this will do it automatically.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » May 29th, 2013, 6:46 pm

Well, yeah. :) But I mean, what becomes of the track, then? Isn't the speed a computed value, based on the distance between time-stamped points? Guess I need to try it, to see. I know what you mean, I've seen those spikes and done a total WTF on them!
Karl

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » May 30th, 2013, 5:07 am

It will affect other the speed between other points, yes, but typically when you have an aberration like that, it should be removed and it is kind of like simplifying the track. Try it and you'll see what I mean.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

Lurch

Post by Lurch » May 30th, 2013, 7:10 am

Just in case you guys weren't aware the new "US TOPO"'s are published and available for free download from USGS. They're about 25mb pdf's. Complete with contour lines and and ortho layer that you can shut off. Most seem to include roads, but completely lack trail systems.

Anyone aware of any software using these new topos?

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » May 30th, 2013, 8:23 am

That's a great resource, Lurch! Beautiful maps. Real shame they omitted the trail layer, though. Hopefully, now that these are all digital, it's something they'll eventually slipstream in?

http://nationalmap.gov/ustopo/

Thanks!
Karl

CampinCarl

Post by CampinCarl » May 30th, 2013, 9:06 am

Koda

Post by Koda » May 30th, 2013, 9:14 am

Lurch wrote:Just in case you guys weren't aware the new "US TOPO"'s are published and available for free download from USGS. They're about 25mb pdf's. Complete with contour lines and and ortho layer that you can shut off. Most seem to include roads, but completely lack trail systems.

Lurch,

Those new maps are not all that. There is a thread here dedicated to them where I pointed out topographic flaws. Not only do they not include trails, but the topographic lines have less resolution/detail than their older counterpart… so your loosing valuable detail when traveling off trail. E.g.: I can cite one place where I have traveled where the topo lines bunched up I knew to stay clear of but in that new map it just looked steep. In reality, there are small gendarmes and cliffy terrain…

If your looking for applications that produce crisp clear accurate maps, including trails, try using the Caltopo layer in Hillmap, or try Caltopo directly

Links: http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/vie ... =7&t=13437
http://www.hillmap.com/
http://www.hillmap.com/m/ag1zfmhpbGxtYX ... 1hcBjPhnMM
http://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=45.33608 ... o=r&n=0.25

lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Lurch

Post by Lurch » May 30th, 2013, 12:48 pm

Oh I agree, they've lost a *lot* of information in what appears to be a misguided effort to make them easier to use. I don't even think they have Township & Range on there anymore :(

At least they've updated to WGS84/NAD83!

Koda

Post by Koda » May 30th, 2013, 8:55 pm

Lurch wrote:.....Complete with contour lines and and ortho layer that you can shut off. .....
Lurch, Hillmap allows you to overlay satellite imagery over your topo map as well as adjust opacity of the layers. Its in the layers menu in the Data and Analysis tab...

ALL: added Caltopo map browser utility to main list, see page 1 original post section browser utilities...
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2