Map for Strawberry Mountains OR

Cartography, maps, navigation, GPS and more.
Pick-a-Pika

Map for Strawberry Mountains OR

Post by Pick-a-Pika » June 11th, 2021, 3:20 pm

I'm looking for a hardcopy topo of the Strawberry Mountains Wilderness in the Malheur National Forest, OR. The sites the MNF links to don't have that area; nor does REI. Any leads ?

Thanks.

Aimless

Re: Map for Strawberry Mountains OR

Post by Aimless » June 11th, 2021, 4:43 pm

I looked at my paper topo map put out by the Forest Service and it dates from 1991. I bought it at ranger station in John Day back in the late 1990s. It covers both Strawberry Mountain and Monument Rock wildernesses. The Forest Service used to have an online map store, but the site seems to have been taken down. This particular map (like most of their topo maps) is almost certain to be both out of print and sold out.

You could try: https://data.fs.usda.gov/geodata/vector/index.php

You may need to fall back on USGS quadrangles, which are (or were recently) available online as printable PDFs, but were last updated in the 1950s. The topography won't have changed, but the human made features will be very outdated.

USGS link: https://ngmdb.usgs.gov/topoview/

Good luck. GPS has made paper topo maps much more of a rarity. Most people print out their own these days.

leiavoia

Post by leiavoia » June 11th, 2021, 9:30 pm

Yes you can print your own to size using free CalTopo. I usually print out a 4 page spread and tape them together.

Lately I just preload the quads on the Topo Maps phone app and then I have GPS too.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » June 12th, 2021, 8:54 am

Natural Atlas has a $30/year membership that allows you to produce PDF maps for printing, with a target size of up to 20 by 30 inches. https://naturalatlas.com/map/print/@44. ... 718262,11z
Last edited by Webfoot on June 13th, 2021, 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pick-a-Pika

Post by Pick-a-Pika » June 13th, 2021, 5:14 am

Thanks much for the resources. I'd forgotten about CalTopo, and Natural Atlas is new to me. USGS is definitely the old standby.

I'm early on the learning curve with using digital maps and GPS. I won't head out without a hardcopy map. Getting a decent printout from a digital resource is tricky.

I hope to file a trip report after returning. Happy trails, folx.

~ Pika

bobcat

Post by bobcat » June 13th, 2021, 10:04 am

The latest USFS Strawberry Mountain/Monument Rock Wilderness map came out in 2001. It shows the expanded wilderness boundary so in effect it is up to date except for trail conditions (and there are many trails in that wilderness that have been impacted by fires and subsequent heavy blowdown).

Looks like it's on sale at the USGS store and, more expensively, on some private vendor sites. I think I got my copy from USGS online several years ago (since they charge a hefty postage fee, I probably bought several other maps at the same time).

739773.jpg

Charley

Post by Charley » June 13th, 2021, 4:41 pm

<sheds a tear for the old Nature of the Northwest store>
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

Pick-a-Pika

Post by Pick-a-Pika » June 14th, 2021, 11:23 am

The Forest Service Prairie City office actually answered the phone -- and will mail out a copy of the map you suggested, Bobcat. I'll get it in time for my trip. The USGS store has a 2020 topo without trails that is a free PDF download, too.

Thanks again, folx.