GaiaGPS Alternatives?

Cartography, maps, navigation, GPS and more.
kepPNW

Re: GaiaGPS Alternatives?

Post by kepPNW » January 6th, 2019, 7:55 am

adamschneider wrote:
January 3rd, 2019, 8:50 am
retired jerry wrote:
January 3rd, 2019, 5:21 am
With my Garmin 60CSx I can download Northwest Topos. Pretty much all of Oregon and Washington. Equivalent to high res USGS topo maps.
Unfortunately, NWTopos never gets updated. But you can also get the latest OpenStreetMap data into your Garmin: check out http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/.
Been playing a bit with this, Adam, and wondering if there isn't an option that'll bring contours along with that? I've built mapsets using both highlighted (see attached) options, and neither provides that data. The fifth option, which mentions contours, is unselectable. :(
Attachments
capture.png
capture.png (11.35 KiB) Viewed 17025 times
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » January 6th, 2019, 10:19 am

kepPNW wrote:
January 6th, 2019, 7:55 am
Been playing a bit with this, Adam, and wondering if there isn't an option that'll bring contours along with that?
Not that I know of. Fortunately, you can load more than one mapset at a time, so if you load the routable OSM layer AND a topo layer — like NW Topos or the Oregon Topo set available on gpsfiledepot.com — you can have both OSM roads/trails and contour lines. (The drawback, of course, is that then you actually have TWO sets of roads, and I'm not sure which one gets displayed.)

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » January 6th, 2019, 11:09 am

adamschneider wrote:
January 6th, 2019, 10:19 am
kepPNW wrote:
January 6th, 2019, 7:55 am
Been playing a bit with this, Adam, and wondering if there isn't an option that'll bring contours along with that?
Not that I know of. Fortunately, you can load more than one mapset at a time, so if you load the routable OSM layer AND a topo layer — like NW Topos or the Oregon Topo set available on gpsfiledepot.com — you can have both OSM roads/trails and contour lines. (The drawback, of course, is that then you actually have TWO sets of roads, and I'm not sure which one gets displayed.)
Dang! I really do like that OpenCycle map that's offered on many phone GPS apps, and was hoping that might be an option there. I do have five or six different mapsets loaded on my Garmin, but it seems that only the topmost generally shows up with tiled ones. :|
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » January 6th, 2019, 11:11 am

kepPNW wrote:
January 6th, 2019, 11:09 am
Dang! I really do like that OpenCycle map that's offered on many phone GPS apps, and was hoping that might be an option there. I do have five or six different mapsets loaded on my Garmin, but it seems that only the topmost generally shows up with tiled ones. :|
As we speak, I'm experimenting with "GMapTool" to see if there's a way to rejigger the map priorities and transparencies...

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » January 6th, 2019, 5:31 pm

I think that unless you can make transparent pngs to have in your map tiles, they will only overlay in a Garmin handheld.

After playing around with that Map Plus app, I've grabbed many sources from around the web to have as overlays on my phone which is really pretty cool. There are still a few that elude me right now, like a public land layer with transparent private land.

I've been wanting to build a tile server for a while...
- Michael

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » January 6th, 2019, 7:42 pm

aiwetir wrote:
January 6th, 2019, 5:31 pm
There are still a few that elude me right now, like a public land layer with transparent private land.
CalTopo has one of those.

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » January 6th, 2019, 9:14 pm

adamschneider wrote:
January 6th, 2019, 7:42 pm
CalTopo has one of those.
I can't quite get that one to work but I'll keep looking

Edit: got it!
- Michael