External GPS with Android smartphone application

Cartography, maps, navigation, GPS and more.
RobinBaker

External GPS with Android smartphone application

Post by RobinBaker » June 1st, 2018, 7:12 am

Is anyone using an external GPS device with an Android smartphone application?

I'd like to know which GPS devices people are using, and which Android app they are using the device with.

Thanks!

RobFromRedland

Re: External GPS with Android smartphone application

Post by RobFromRedland » June 1st, 2018, 4:59 pm

Just curious why you want an external GPS device and not just use the GPS in your phone?

I've been doing that for a few years now, using the Backcountry Navigator app and have been very happy with it. Comparing phone tracks to my old trusty Garmin 60csx, the tracks are very comparable. The only downside is that it does take a lot of battery, but I carry and external battery pack if needed. I can usually go all day long on a charge and not have to use the battery, though.

I recently purchased a Garmin inReach Explorer, which has GPS and you can interface with it thru a Garmin app (using bluetooth), but I prefer the Backcountry Navigator app. I bought the inReach for communication - with the added benefit I could use it as a real GPS in a pinch - but it isn't nearly as useful as the old 60csx - except the maps are better.

I don't think I helped any, but that is what I use.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » June 1st, 2018, 6:02 pm

I've been satisfied with the internal GPS on my aging smartphone, but if you have deep pockets and a desire for extreme accuracy you can get an advertised 8 centimeter resolution, for a cool $4400. :mrgreen:

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » June 1st, 2018, 6:53 pm

I have one of those Garmin GLO things and it just makes things worse IMO. I tried the Dual thingy and that was terrible. This was all about 4 years ago though.

The newest smartphones support Galileo also. In almost all cases now, my smartphone exceeds any of the Garmin 60+ series.

Pilots seem to need Bluetooth antenna more than us fools stuck to the ground, not sure why.
- Michael

RobinBaker

Post by RobinBaker » June 1st, 2018, 6:54 pm

RobFromRedland wrote:
June 1st, 2018, 4:59 pm
Just curious why you want an external GPS device and not just use the GPS in your phone?
I use a Bad Elf Pro external GPS device. It is a much better GPS receiver than the GPS in my smartphone, providing better reception in the deep woods and other places where GPS reception can be dodgy. Smartphones use (or attempt to use) wi-fi, cell towers, network, etc to provide location information. This is why they work well in the city even in places that would be lousy for GPS reception by itself.

I use the Locus Maps Pro application because it's the only app I've found that will connect directly to an external bluetooth device. It provides tracking of course, but also provides photo and video waypoints that can be exported to Google Maps and other desktop applications.

Robin