Need Help Mapping Multnomah Basin on OSM

Cartography, maps, navigation, GPS and more.
aiwetir

Need Help Mapping Multnomah Basin on OSM

Post by aiwetir » December 12th, 2017, 7:44 pm

This area is a mystery to me and the trails remain off OSM for that reason. The busy trail on the left is Multnomah Falls then crosses across the image as Larch Mtn Trail. Off to the left is Wahkeena Trail. The other trail on the east side of the map is Franklin Ridge. I think one of these might be the "elevator shaft" the rest I have no idea. Then there's that closed trail where the concrete stairs slid down, not sure that should be on the map but there are ways tag it closed or hazardous
Screen Region 2017-12-12 at 18.44.41.png
- Michael

adamschneider

Re: Need Help Mapping Multnomah Basin on OSM

Post by adamschneider » December 13th, 2017, 12:36 am

Here it is on a USFS map:

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » December 13th, 2017, 2:31 am

Yeah, I can see all that but I don't know what any of those trails are or if they should be added to the map.
- Michael

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » December 13th, 2017, 3:14 am

Here is a map of the area from the Field Guide.

Lurch

Post by Lurch » December 13th, 2017, 8:45 am

basin.jpg
Ignoring the burn, and whatever may change as a result of that..

There's a lot of history in the gorge, you've got Basin Rd going in there, Cougar Rock, Nesika, the Elevator Shaft, Ornament Trail, Franklin spur, Bickels Pt and the 'meadow ridge' as your main points. I don't believe there are official names for anything. I've always called the E/W trail that connects elevator, cougar, and nesika the 'rim trail'.

I believe as a courtesy if you're actually publishing or pushing anything, you should talk to the Trails Club. Technically speaking Nesika, and the confluence of the rim/basin/franklin trails are on private land. They've been extremely welcoming and gracious to random hikers, and helped many people who're completely lost over the years, but I'm sure they'd appreciate a heads up if something like that were to become more "officially" labelled.

P.S. Before people ask, the "Cabins" listed in that pic don't exist anymore beyond some possible subtle remnants, they're just historical legacy tracking.

Guy

Post by Guy » December 13th, 2017, 9:22 am

Lurch wrote: P.S. Before people ask, the "Cabins" listed in that pic don't exist anymore beyond some possible subtle remnants, they're just historical legacy tracking.
And it's not like we haven't looked and looked again and again..... for them :)
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » December 13th, 2017, 2:04 pm

Guy wrote:
Lurch wrote: P.S. Before people ask, the "Cabins" listed in that pic don't exist anymore beyond some possible subtle remnants, they're just historical legacy tracking.
And it's not like we haven't looked and looked again and again..... for them :)
Amen to that, Guy! I've found three of the old sites but there are three I have yet to find and the "vertical cabin" remains un-found. Here's a photo of what it looked like in the day. Photo from the newsletter of the Crown Point Country Historical Society, 2006:

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Lurch

Post by Lurch » December 13th, 2017, 2:45 pm

Well it's documented that Mable's cabin was burned after her death, and the metal 'shed' next to it was removed, so it's not unreasonable to have found nothing of it. There was a old "hollow cedar" out there somewhere, most likely along Basin Rd but I don't have a good enough location to feel comfortable even remotely dropping a pin on it. I know that some youth used to 'camp' in it, someone may have briefly lived in it, and more than one lost person in the 70's took shelter in it. Unfortunately I don't think anything remains of it, and with the fire that seems even less likely