map software confusion

Cartography, maps, navigation, GPS and more.
pcg

map software confusion

Post by pcg » November 15th, 2017, 3:35 pm

I need to up my mapping game.

For decades I used USGS paper maps, then switched to NG Topo maps some years ago so I could print out my own maps. I still do that, along with printing out Google Earth photos, to supplement the printed BLM maps I also use.

I want to take advantage of newer features that are available today and I know there are many options. I hear terms like “Caltopo”, “OpenStreetMap”, and a half dozen other options. I still want to make printed maps. I don’t use an electronic device other than an InReach Explorer. I sometimes use Garmin Basecamp to create routes and waypoints for my InReach Explorer, but it cannot store maps.

Should I start with Caltopo or is there something better out there now?

retired jerry

Re: map software confusion

Post by retired jerry » November 15th, 2017, 4:08 pm

caltopo is pretty good. I use it. You can print them. There's a bit of a learning curve.

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » November 15th, 2017, 4:49 pm

I prefer Caltopo for printed maps. It's really easy to generate and print a pdf of a map.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » November 15th, 2017, 5:41 pm

Caltopo. Create PDFs. You can (of course) print them out, and since they're georeferenced you can also load them into apps like Avenza PDF Maps in the field.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

pcg

Post by pcg » November 15th, 2017, 5:54 pm

Caltopo it is then! Thanks for the rapid response everyone.
kepPNW wrote:Caltopo... you can also load them into apps like Avenza PDF Maps in the field.
That's nice to hear. I recently started using offline Avenza maps to navigate remote roads while driving.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » November 15th, 2017, 6:22 pm

pcg wrote:
kepPNW wrote:Caltopo... you can also load them into apps like Avenza PDF Maps in the field.
That's nice to hear. I recently started using offline Avenza maps to navigate remote roads while driving.
Yeah, love it! But, beware the more recent versions only support three "user" maps at a time, which is a royal hassle. This thread offers a link to the last version that supported unlimited maps. (Maybe the version you have is different? I wasn't even aware of an offline basemap option, other than GeoPDFs.)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

neilsonw

Post by neilsonw » November 16th, 2017, 8:10 pm

I second (fourth?) CalTopo. Just started printing off custom maps last summer and they're great. I also love being able to determine elevation within 20 feet or so when you combine it with Avenza. This is the tutorial I used to get started:

https://douchepacker.com/2016/04/28/qui ... n-caltopo/