Trapper Creek Trails Updated On OSM

Cartography, maps, navigation, GPS and more.
Webfoot

Re: Trapper Creek Trails Updated On OSM

Post by Webfoot » November 13th, 2017, 1:30 pm

Indeed! I've come across decommissioned roads with big trees growing in them that are on the USGS Topo.

Do you know a source for the BLM basemap for other States?

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » November 13th, 2017, 5:18 pm

Webfoot wrote:Do you know a source for the BLM basemap for other States?
Nope, and I've looked. The only really useful thing I've found from the national BLM is the land ownership ("Surface Management Agency") overlay: https:// gis.blm.gov/arcgis/rest/services/lands/BLM_Natl_SMA_Cached_without_PriUnk/MapServer/tile/{z}/{y}/{x}

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » November 14th, 2017, 1:02 am

Thanks for that as well; I hadn't seen it.

It is interesting to compare it to PAD-US 1.4. You can overlay both by manually adding them in ArcGIS Viewer.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » November 14th, 2017, 8:47 am

Webfoot wrote:Thanks for that as well; I hadn't seen it.

It is interesting to compare it to PAD-US 1.4. You can overlay both by manually adding them in ArcGIS Viewer.
Yeah, they're mostly the same, but with subtle differences. For instance, the PAD layer marks the entire Gorge as USFS land, even the parts that are private property; that's annoying. On the other hand, the PAD layer is more useful when it comes to things like Nature Conservancy parcels (i.e., privately held for the public good); the BLM SMA layer doesn't include those.

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » November 14th, 2017, 7:06 pm

Because of parallax, satellite images aren't often that accurate for what we're doing, beware of falling into that trap, for example, there's a few turns on hwy 14 that are surprisingly far off.
- Michael

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » November 15th, 2017, 11:08 am

Regarding the missing waterways, all of the waterways are available from multiple sources but it's what we might call a huge project. The national map seems like a good "start" :lol:

https://viewer.nationalmap.gov/basic/?b ... NHD%20View

Screen Region 2017-11-15 at 10.19.11.png
The full dataset of what I found when I downloaded the Silver Star area
Screen Region 2017-11-15 at 10.18.22.png
A closeup of the Silver Star area, you can see where streams overlap
Screen Region 2017-11-15 at 11.04.35 copy.jpg
The National Map overlaid on a USGS scan
- Michael

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » November 15th, 2017, 1:42 pm

Yikes, that seems like TOO much data. It'd be nice if we could just get all of the named waterways into OSM.

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » November 15th, 2017, 7:27 pm

adamschneider wrote:Yikes, that seems like TOO much data. It'd be nice if we could just get all of the named waterways into OSM.

There's a query for every database. Let me throw together a map and see how it looks
- Michael

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » November 16th, 2017, 1:31 am

Here's what it has for named creeks
Screen Region 2017-11-16 at 01.20.34.jpg
As an experiment I replaced Woodward Creek that comes out just west of Beacon Rock to see how long it might take. This particular replacement took me 20 minutes mostly because I was not very recently familiar with the process through JOSM. I only added 3km of stream and it would probably have been faster to trace it over a USGS scan but this process would allow me to do the whole shapefile at once so it's potentially faster.

Now I could just add all of those streams and remove the old ones in about an hour I think, but I think it needs to be looked at almost at a stream by stream basis. And some editor would probably poop their pants if they saw me do that.

Now here's your named streams KML file (9.4 mb)
https://pdxvr.com/other/named_rivers.kml

EDIT: Then I went in and added all the tributaries to Woodward Creek. I probably shouldn't do that as I'm just not sure how much they want on there. I imagine they want everything, but the "community" is dispersed and it's hard to discuss things
- Michael

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » November 16th, 2017, 8:28 am

aiwetir wrote:EDIT: Then I went in and added all the tributaries to Woodward Creek. I probably shouldn't do that as I'm just not sure how much they want on there. I imagine they want everything, but the "community" is dispersed and it's hard to discuss things
Ideally they/we want everything. But I think everyone understands that for a long while, it's going to be a patchwork, where some areas are filled in wonderfully and others are sparse. Lots of detail somwehere is better than no detail everywhere.

As for the streams, I've often been marking small unnamed tributaries as "intermittent."

By the way, here's a template for USFS maps from CalTopo: ctusfs.s3.amazonaws.com/2016a/{z}/{x}/{y}.png