USFS Snow Cover map

Cartography, maps, navigation, GPS and more.
bushwhacker

Re: USFS Snow Cover map

Post by bushwhacker » February 24th, 2017, 5:05 pm

Try this one. It uses Google Earth.
http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/earth/

If you click on one of the items in the first column you get your snow map. It defaults to snow water equivalent but you can change that to snow depth with the settings on the left side.

If you leave that Google Earth session going and click on one of the items in the second column it will add in all of the Snotel sites plus a bunch more.

I have been using this for a couple of years now. A few oddities I have noticed.
-Works on mobile devices but seems to default to Snow Water Equivalent and I haven't found a way to change that default.
-Appears to over estimate the snow depth during spring melt off when you have lots of snow in the open areas but none under the trees. Makes it appear that all of the area is at the maximum depth.
-The snow depth images are multiple images stitched together. Some times where they are stitched together you get strange results. Normally this happens in the exact place you intend to go :lol:

adamschneider

Re: USFS Snow Cover map

Post by adamschneider » March 22nd, 2017, 10:40 pm

They finally fixed the "meters instead of inches" problem, so both my map and the USFS's map are usable again.