Avenza Maps announces new limits

Cartography, maps, navigation, GPS and more.
Bosterson

Re: Avenza Maps announces new limits

Post by Bosterson » September 20th, 2016, 12:13 pm

That's a good tip, Adam. This is really a bummer because PDF Maps is really simple and great. This "upgrade" sounds like just a way for them to extract money out of people for something that was once free (hooray limiting usability!). Really, this is the reason we should only be supporting open source software, like ever... :|
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » September 20th, 2016, 12:19 pm

Bosterson wrote:This "upgrade" sounds like just a way for them to extract money out of people for something that was once free (hooray limiting usability!).
Bingo!

$30/year to continue using your own data!

:!: :arrow: :lol: :arrow: :?: :arrow: :evil:
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » September 20th, 2016, 2:03 pm

kepPNW wrote:
adamschneider wrote:If you accidentally let an app auto-update and you didn't want it to, there are a number of Web sites that archive the older versions of the apps' APKs, so you could manually revert. E.g.: https://apkpure.com/pdf-maps/com.Avenza
Am I correct that this route requires root access to the device?
No, you don't need to be rooted to install apps from .apk files; you just need to enable a system setting that allows the installation of apps from "Unknown sources."

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » September 20th, 2016, 2:26 pm

adamschneider wrote:
kepPNW wrote:
adamschneider wrote:If you accidentally let an app auto-update and you didn't want it to, there are a number of Web sites that archive the older versions of the apps' APKs, so you could manually revert. E.g.: https://apkpure.com/pdf-maps/com.Avenza
Am I correct that this route requires root access to the device?
No, you don't need to be rooted to install apps from .apk files; you just need to enable a system setting that allows the installation of apps from "Unknown sources."
Wonderful news! That really opens it up to just about anyone, then, and they can certainly (do as I did with my tablet and) return the setting to prevent future unwitting installs. :D
Karl

Guy

Post by Guy » September 20th, 2016, 4:01 pm

kepPNW wrote: Wonderful news! That really opens it up to just about anyone, then, and they can certainly (do as I did with my tablet and) return the setting to prevent future unwitting installs. :D
Since I recently switched to a new phone (exploding Note 7 :) ) which means I'll be changing again shortly I'm sure my app has been updated. Karl do you know what the last non restricted version number is?

Thanks
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » September 20th, 2016, 6:26 pm

Guy wrote:do you know what the last non restricted version number is?
v1.7.3, which is the current version. Note that they haven't released a "restricted" update yet.

Guy

Post by Guy » September 20th, 2016, 9:01 pm

adamschneider wrote:
v1.7.3, which is the current version. Note that they haven't released a "restricted" update yet.
Oh great, thanks Adam
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » September 20th, 2016, 11:48 pm

adamschneider wrote:No, you don't need to be rooted to install apps from .apk files; you just need to enable a system setting that allows the installation of apps from "Unknown sources."
This guide might help:

http://www.ubergizmo.com/how-to/how-to- ... n-android/

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » September 21st, 2016, 5:50 am

adamschneider wrote:
Unfortunately, I was on their beta track, so I did get the restricted thingie sent down to my tablet.

In my rush to get rid of it, I didn't note the version number at the time.
Webfoot wrote:
adamschneider wrote:No, you don't need to be rooted to install apps from .apk files; you just need to enable a system setting that allows the installation of apps from "Unknown sources."
This guide might help:

http://www.ubergizmo.com/how-to/how-to- ... n-android/
Excellent link to have in this thread, thanks!!!
Karl

kaltbluter

Post by kaltbluter » September 21st, 2016, 8:50 am

kepPNW wrote:Okay, shoot, TerraGo Edge seems to have an even worse limitation... Just one user-generated offline map may be imported at a time? I got the quad map from USGS imported, but that removed the Caltopo map from my list of maps to toggle between. Could be a stupid user-error, but that's what I'm seeing right now...
I installed TerraGo Edge this morning and messed with it a bit. I loaded two maps and can switch between them by tapping "notebook" on the main page. It appears that each notebook can have one user generated map and loading a new map automatically creates a new notebook.

I did one test with track recording and it only recorded a track while the screen was on.