Oregon State Forest maps, source and/or replication...

Cartography, maps, navigation, GPS and more.
-Q-

Re: Oregon State Forest maps, source and/or replication...

Post by -Q- » August 23rd, 2016, 5:46 pm

Lurch wrote:
Crusak wrote:
Lurch wrote: My 300dpi scan of the 24x36" Trails of the Columbia Gorge map sits at about 220mb per side as a tif. Not something you'd want to pull up on your phone like that.
Not to get off subject, but Lurch - is that the old (mostly) brown and white map that was sold about 15-20 years ago? I think I've got that map also. It's all taped up and well used. I wish they published that one still, it's a great map!
Yup that's the one! If I only got one map for the gorge that would be my standard go-to
That's my standard Gorge map as well. Love it. Like Crusaks, mine is taped to no end.

They don't make that map anymore?? The gift shop at Multnomah falls sold them for years.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » August 25th, 2016, 12:24 am

Crusak wrote: is that the old (mostly) brown and white map that was sold about 15-20 years ago?
I have that one too. Has it really been that long? Crikey!

Incidentally my favorite map, not of the Gorge, is AdventureMaps Mt. Hood. It seems unusually accurate, and all trail maps should be water resistant! I wish they made a Gorge map too. Who else uses that one?

-Q-

Post by -Q- » August 25th, 2016, 3:10 pm

Webfoot wrote:
Crusak wrote: is that the old (mostly) brown and white map that was sold about 15-20 years ago?

Incidentally my favorite map, not of the Gorge, is AdventureMaps Mt. Hood. It seems unusually accurate, and all trail maps should be water resistant! I wish they made a Gorge map too. Who else uses that one?
I do :mrgreen:

That's by far my favorite map for mt hood proper. Like you mentioned, it's detail is excellent.

Super handy that it has the tillamook SF trails off route 6 as well.

For the rest of mhnf, I use the Nat geo trails illustrated map.

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » August 26th, 2016, 9:36 am

-Q- wrote:
Webfoot wrote:

I do :mrgreen:

That's by far my favorite map for mt hood proper. Like you mentioned, it's detail is excellent.

Super handy that it has the tillamook SF trails off route 6 as well.

For the rest of mhnf, I use the Nat geo trails illustrated map.
Yep, I use that AdventureMap, too. It's my favorite!
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » January 31st, 2017, 11:44 am

A bit ago I added the political boundaries of the Clatsop, Tillamook, Elliott, Santiam, and a couple other tiny state forest lands to OpenStreetMap. I don't quite know why, but they are taking forever to render properly at all zoom levels and I haven't quite gotten Santiam finished. Zoomed in has more detail than zoomed out. The source was this

http://www.odf.state.or.us/gis/data/Own ... ft.gdb.zip

It's a GIS file which isn't something one can just browse without GIS software, but you can see it's the state's 2015 ownership map.

So the borders should be "relatively" accurate, but of course your mileage may vary.
- Michael

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » February 25th, 2017, 1:51 pm

I assume that maps produced by ODF, the USFS, BLM, etc. are not copyrighted, correct? Obviously I'm talking about maps produced by companies such as National Geographic and Green Trails, but the ones I mentioned are produced by the government and therefore in the public domain, I would think.