OSM for Garmin GPS

Cartography, maps, navigation, GPS and more.
alanecharlesworth

OSM for Garmin GPS

Post by alanecharlesworth » May 21st, 2016, 8:52 am

I just checked the Gorge trails in OSM against my own GPS tracks (from a Garmin GPSmap64), and they look excellent. I noted a few missing trails, which I'll submit on some rainy day.

I use the Garmin version of OSM from openmtbmap.org, which comes from Austria. They update the OSM data weekly. For download purposes, they package the contours separately from the OSM info, since the contours don't change. They ask for donations to support the site. They post both Mac and Windows installers. The US-west download is about 1.4 GB, of which about 0.5 GB is the contours. I've also used their maps in Chile and Peru.

The contours for the US come from a Space Shuttle mission, with an XY resolution of 1 arc second, about 30m.
If one were making a US-specific OSM derivative, one would want to make the contours from USGS elevation data, which has an XY resolution of 1/3 arc second, about 10m.

FWIW, I used to use Garmin-compatible map from www.switchbacks.com, but their last release is dated December 16, 2014 -- so it may be moribund. Also its trail info wasn't very good (its hard to beat OSM).

I'd be interested in hearing about other Garmin-compatible versions of OSM.

aiwetir

Re: OSM for Garmin GPS

Post by aiwetir » May 21st, 2016, 1:42 pm

I use this when I need Garmin specific OSM

http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

I'm the one who recently (last few weeks) aligned the whole Gorge from Post Canyon to Angels Rest, up to Mt. Hood almost. I posted about it in another thread here, but I used a tool developed by Strava that essentially averages the OSM lines over their whole pool of GPS tracks. The OSM trails in the Gorge are probably as accurate as they've ever been.

There are a few areas close to the scenic highway that I'm not sure about, some have roads that I'm pretty sure aren't there and I won't have added a trail that didn't have data. I did round up ROA and some other gems though.

I'd be interested in knowing what I missed (I don't know Multnomah Basin at all) as well as having someone check the names of the trails. That tool I used is pretty good but I have to adjust almost every switchback by hand still so I probably missed some of those too.

I'd also like to remind you that a lot of the aerial images aren't properly aligned in the Gorge, but the trails I aligned are over probably hundreds of accurate GPS tracks so please don't move to much around unless you are sure ;)
- Michael

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » May 21st, 2016, 8:50 pm

alanecharlesworth wrote:I noted a few missing trails, which I'll submit on some rainy day.

You can send them to me and I'll add them.
- Michael

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » May 22nd, 2016, 7:50 am

aiwetir wrote:I use this when I need Garmin specific OSM

http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/
That page is just erroring out (508 - Resource Limit Reached), right now. Sounds interesting.
aiwetir wrote:I'm the one who recently (last few weeks) aligned the whole Gorge from Post Canyon to Angels Rest, up to Mt. Hood almost. I posted about it in another thread here, but I used a tool developed by Strava that essentially averages the OSM lines over their whole pool of GPS tracks. The OSM trails in the Gorge are probably as accurate as they've ever been.
That's just awesome! Really appreciate the effort!

Was just looking at them in ViewRanger, which lets me choose the background map fairly easily. I should point out that Open Cycle Map seems to use the same trail network, but adds contour lines as well. Very useful for phone GPS apps!

Is that Strava tool something that's generally available, or...? I'd like to try something like that for areas (like Beacon Rock State Park) where I've hiked extensively.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » May 22nd, 2016, 10:10 am

I got that error too but refreshing the page worked.

My other post is here.
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=23614

There's a short video linked there that explains it, just check your work, sometimes it doesn't behave.

I did a lot of the Beacon Rock area too but I either lost interest or there wasn't a lot of data (or it was incomplete), I don't remember why I moved on, but I felt it was incomplete when I left.
- Michael

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » May 22nd, 2016, 10:21 am

I believe OpenCycle, OpenLandscape, and OpenHiking are all just different styles versions of the same map generated by ThunderForest. They update trails every few days and background things like lakes a little less frequently.

If you don't want to duplicate what I've done already, here's a short list from memory.

Hatfield Wilderness
Almost everything around Mt. Hood, from Sandy Ridge to Parkdale north of 26/35
Some Lookout / Badger Creek stuff but not all
Siouxon Creek
Almost everything around St. Helens (I'm currently working around Spirit Lake but south should be done.
North coast from Cascade Head to Astoria
Some random stuff around Gales Creek

It's what I do when I get bored or stressed :P
- Michael

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » May 22nd, 2016, 10:48 am

Not sure I'm cut out to be an official editor for OSM. Was mostly interested in the Strava thing you mentioned for my own use.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » May 22nd, 2016, 11:06 am

kepPNW wrote:Not sure I'm cut out to be an official editor for OSM. Was mostly interested in the Strava thing you mentioned for my own use.
That's something they developed for editing OSM to give back to the community.

Feel free to send me any GPX tracks you think are accurate and should be on OSM, I'll add them
- Michael