Question for Gaia GPS Users on iOS

Cartography, maps, navigation, GPS and more.
AAdamsPDX

Question for Gaia GPS Users on iOS

Post by AAdamsPDX » March 29th, 2016, 9:43 am

I know some of you use Gaia because this forum is how I learned about it! So far I love the app, though I've only field tested it once. I ran into one problem that is possibly user error, possibly a glitch that will go away with an upgrade, or possibly something in the app or phone settings that I need to change:

When I'm using the app in the field, if I don't remember to navigate back to my "desktop" before putting my phone back in my pocket, the phone does not go into power saving mode. In other words, the screen stays active/on and doesn't go black, resulting in very quick power drain. Of course, I could just always remember to navigate away from the Gaia map screen before putting the phone away. But odds are I won't remember to do this and I'll wind up doing what I did this weekend and running out of power!

I can see why this might be intentional: if I'm using a map it's probably best if it doesn't time out and go to a black screen every 30 seconds. However, I tend to use a GPS only to do quick progress checks and then pop the phone back in my pocket. So if there's a setting where I can change this I'd be happy!

FYI, I know about Gaia's offline mode but I did have the phone in airplane mode so I didn't think that would make much difference. Maybe it would?! I also collapsed the compass band because that's supposed to save power as well.
"The world begins where the road ends." ~Eddie Vedder
http://www.hriggsphotography.com/

mjirving

Re: Question for Gaia GPS Users on iOS

Post by mjirving » March 29th, 2016, 12:29 pm

Are you basically saying you forget to turn your phone off before putting it in your pocket?

Are you using iPhone?

If so, then go to Settings > General > Auto-Lock > and change it to 30 seconds.

Also, if you put the phone into airplane mode and THEN open Gaia, it will fire up the GPS module for use in Gaia, but none of the other services. This will dramatically increase battery. One of the biggest battery drains is your phone searching for and trying to retain a weak phone signal (e.g., Verizon's "1x" signal) so keeping that off is very helpful for battery.

If you have Android then I don't know, but I'm sure there are similar ways to accomplish this.

Mike (aka GoalTech)

AAdamsPDX

Post by AAdamsPDX » March 29th, 2016, 2:33 pm

Yep, I have an iPhone!
mjirving wrote:Are you basically saying you forget to turn your phone off before putting it in your pocket?
:D Pretty much! Except it usually turns itself off because of the other setting that you mention - my phone is already set to autolock after 1 minute (I suppose I could change it to 30 seconds but I don't think that would make a big difference). So I'm not used to having to turn it "off." Gaia just seems to over-ride that function somehow, leaving the app and the phone "on" indefinitely.

And yep, I was using airplane mode. Not sure if I turned on airplane mode before or after opening the app.

mjirving

Post by mjirving » March 29th, 2016, 4:02 pm

Hmmm...yeah I just tested it on mine and it does appear to override the auto-off. I also tried to run it in "low power mode" as that mode typically overrides your standard setting and powers the phone down even faster...like 10 seconds or so.

Option 1 would be to change your auto lock to 5 min to force yourself to remember to turn your phone off. :-)

Option 2 would be to e-mail Gaia support (they are very responsive historically) and ask them if they have any ideas. I looked in the settings in Gaia and didn't see anything obvious to help your situation.

On a side note, it's interesting how people use their phones differently that never occur to me. I never use the auto-lock feature as a way to turn my phone off intentionally (mine is on the longest setting of 5 min and I'd make it longer if I could) I always turn it off manually when I'm done. I'm not saying that you're wrong and I'm right, just interestingly different.

On another side note, I also have an Apple Watch and Gaia is one of my favorite use cases with it as I get all my progress at a glance on my watch so I rarely ever have to take my phone out and turn it off, it just stays off in my pocket and my watch only comes on when I lift my wrist to look at it. I'm not suggesting that's your solution, but just another thought regarding phone battery...particularly in the off chance that you already have an Apple Watch and hadn't considered using it with Gaia.

Lastly, another consideration is that you can get very inexpensive external batteries now (Anker on Amazon) so you could take one of those as back up. Some are quite small, light and cheap.

Mike

AAdamsPDX

Post by AAdamsPDX » March 29th, 2016, 4:18 pm

mjirving wrote:On a side note, it's interesting how people use their phones differently that never occur to me. I never use the auto-lock feature as a way to turn my phone off intentionally (mine is on the longest setting of 5 min and I'd make it longer if I could) I always turn it off manually when I'm done. I'm not saying that you're wrong and I'm right, just interestingly different.
That really IS interesting, because it never occurred to me to do it any other way, either! Just the way I've used my phone for 3 years and can't imagine doing it differently. This is the first time I've ever run into a problem, even after using various GPS-enabled apps for most of those 3 years.... Probably a good idea to contact Gaia as you suggest because it would take a while to teach this old dog a new trick (manually shutting down the phone). :D
mjirving wrote:Lastly, another consideration is that you can get very inexpensive external batteries now (Anker on Amazon) so you could take one of those as back up. Some are quite small, light and cheap.
I have such a device for backpacking but haven't yet carried it with me on day hikes. I've never even come close to burning through a full battery charge on my iPhone during a day hike (until last Saturday). But I probably should have it along since I really like to have GPS apps as backups to my analog navigation devices!

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » March 29th, 2016, 9:52 pm

I think there used to be a setting that let the screen go off, but I don't see it. You have to hit the home button or lock button.

Don't put it in low power mode, it will turn off the GPS. Use offline mode and airplane mode if you are above 8.3. There is currently an issue with iOS where your track will snap to roads if you aren't in airplane mode AND you exceed 20kph (12mph). Not usually an issue hiking.

It's a good practice to get into anyway, it'll keep you from butt calling people, accidentally pausing recording your track, or having any other unintentional input on the phone that may cost you a bunch of data or something. Camera apps will generally keep the screen on too, another reason to lock the screen or exit to the home screen.

You could write support, they'll answer you for sure.
- Michael

AAdamsPDX

Post by AAdamsPDX » March 30th, 2016, 8:25 am

Thanks both for the input! Seems like I should have phrased my question differently:

Given that I am easily distracted while...hey, look at that view! What kind of bird is that? What a cool mushroom/rock/growth pattern! *Inserts phone in pocket. Forgets to lock phone first.*

...does Gaia have a setting for that?

:lol:

My iPhone, and the apps I've used to date, have apparently been idiot proof for 3 years. Never even managed to butt dial, believe it or not. Looks like I'll have to learn new habits, unless Gaia tech support can give me input on an override feature that will protect me from myself.

(Yes, airplane mode. Always! Things I can set up in advance I can manage. Things that require me to learn new tricks in the moment when so many other things are more interesting.... Ahem.)

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » March 30th, 2016, 9:36 am

Yeah, we've all done it. Pulled the phone out and the screen is on, it's hot, and the battery is almost gone. I run a second GPS as a backup, I hate losing data.

I used to like the simplicity of hiking with a phone then I realized I have to check that things are running properly, that I have my camera settings just right as I hate losing photos more than data, that I have the right maps downloaded before I leave the house, with maps of the backup plan, etc.
- Michael

AAdamsPDX

Post by AAdamsPDX » March 31st, 2016, 10:17 am

aiwetir wrote:I used to like the simplicity of hiking with a phone then I realized I have to check that things are running properly, that I have my camera settings just right as I hate losing photos more than data, that I have the right maps downloaded before I leave the house, with maps of the backup plan, etc.
All true! Just like analog wayfinding, tech is only as good as the user's ability to use that gadget between the ears. ;)

For me, the data after the fact is nice but not the whole point. I rarely even record tracks unless I'm in a situation where I'm largely off trail or in a lot of blowdown and might need to backtrack out. I like the backup to paper maps, especially the ability to pinpoint where I am on the map. Usually this just clarifies what I already know from looking at said paper maps, but when I'm in new situations it's very nice insurance. And the biggest reason I want to do all I can to preserve battery power!

johngo

Post by johngo » June 29th, 2016, 6:52 am

Lastly, another consideration is that you can get very inexpensive external batteries now (Anker on Amazon) so you could take one of those as back up. Some are quite small, light and cheap.
Mike

What Mike said!

Anker makes very solid auxiliary batteries and a variety of sizes. I have one of their smallest ones, it's about as big as my thumb, and charges my phone theoretically 1.5 times. It's just too easy to forget to put your phone in airplane mode, or do something else with that and kill your battery when you really need it. (yes, several cases of first-hand experience with this…)

In addition, you can get a tiny 4 inch long charging cable for your iPhone from Amazon also.

The auxiliary battery and the charging cable together cost about $16, and weighed 3.5 ounces.
Personally, I consider a battery and charging cable the 11th he sensual, hand carry this tiny additional weight with me on most every trip.

Links:
Anker PowerCore+ mini 3350mAh Lipstick-Sized Portable Charger
$10
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005X ... UTF8&psc=1

and
AmazonBasics Apple Certified Lightning to USB Cable - 4 Inches (10 Centimeters) - Black
$6
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010U ... UTF8&psc=1

-johngo