Best Place to Share GPS Tracks

Cartography, maps, navigation, GPS and more.
aiwetir

Best Place to Share GPS Tracks

Post by aiwetir » November 18th, 2015, 10:39 am

I notice a majority of people using GPSFly to share tracks. But I've heard this kind of thing before
gpsfly is all but dead. It has been stale for the past couple of years now. Don't hold your breath for new features to be added.
Are there other resources I'm missing? I often grab a bunch of GPX files there to update OSM.
- Michael

miah66

Re: Best Place to Share GPS Tracks

Post by miah66 » November 18th, 2015, 11:14 am

It's a popular spot for sure, but there is basically NO search function that is worth a damn so you have to scroll back in time and hunt manually. There's also no fly along function anymore, so it's basically just a holding tank for tracks. With that said, I use it frequently. I'm not sure why it's never been maintained, it's a fabulous concept and a great website that with just a bit of fixing could be returned to it's former glory.

I keep most of my tracks on viewranger.com, as that's the software I collect tracks with on my phone and it automatically syncs them to the servers there for me. Then I export them to my hard drive and import them to gpsfly.org.
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

Chase

Post by Chase » November 18th, 2015, 11:17 am

Unfortunately, there does not seem to be a single website with these files.

Could we add this to our Field Guide at some point?

There are other options:

1. Send a PM to someone who has posted a TR for the hike you want to hike...maybe they can share GPX files if they have them. People are generally nice about this stuff on OH.

2. Check other websites. Most of the popular hikes are out there on these sites.

3. Take some time to do some googling. I've found tracks (free!) for some obscure and off-trail stuff in National Parks, FS, and BLM land. Usually these are within blogs of hikers from all over the world.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » November 18th, 2015, 12:18 pm

EveryTrail still has the largest repository out there, and people do still add to it, but it's also been getting "stale," ever since it was purchased by TripAdvisor. And I happen to know that the guy who started ET just left TripAdvisor, so its future is even more up in the air now.

I wrote to GPSFly once — asking if they might like to partner with GPS Visualizer for storing people's tracks — and they never responded.

Speaking of GPS Visualizer, I'm planning on officially unveiling a feature soon that will let you enable data export (in GPX, KML, or plain text format) in your GPSV maps. Of course, you still need to have a place to host them...

Adam

Koda

Post by Koda » November 18th, 2015, 1:23 pm

gpsies.com is a stable user community of GPS tracks. IIRC Its open source and supports the Open Cycle and Open Street map projects so I don't think its going anywhere and probably likely to be updated and supported into the future. I have a few tracks on there although I don't use it much since I save my tracks on a drive at home.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Koda

Post by Koda » November 18th, 2015, 1:25 pm

adamschneider wrote:EveryTrail still has the largest repository out there, and people do still add to it, but it's also been getting "stale," ever since it was purchased by TripAdvisor. And I happen to know that the guy who started ET just left TripAdvisor, so its future is even more up in the air now.

I wrote to GPSFly once — asking if they might like to partner with GPS Visualizer for storing people's tracks — and they never responded.

Speaking of GPS Visualizer, I'm planning on officially unveiling a feature soon that will let you enable data export (in GPX, KML, or plain text format) in your GPSV maps. Of course, you still need to have a place to host them...

Adam
I wonder if gpsies.com would work with hosting tracks to use on GPSV?

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » November 18th, 2015, 2:22 pm

Koda wrote:I wonder if gpsies.com would work with hosting tracks to use on GPSV?
Wow, I forgot about GPSies; it's been YEARS since it came across my radar. I find their interface horribly confusing, but it looks like it might be a possibility.

Koda

Post by Koda » November 18th, 2015, 2:39 pm

adamschneider wrote: Wow, I forgot about GPSies; it's been YEARS since it came across my radar. I find their interface horribly confusing, but it looks like it might be a possibility.
ta da.... it looks like they have made upgrades and improvements... they've upgraded their design, made an app for both Apple and Android, and now boast "3 million" gps routes. Maybe their interface has been simplified... I haven't checked them out in a long time.

anyways, my hunch seems right gpsies isnt going away. If it worked to host track files for GPSV that would be good.

Peder

Post by Peder » November 18th, 2015, 3:24 pm

I like Wikiloc, especially for finding trails outside of the USA.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » November 18th, 2015, 4:06 pm

Koda wrote:ta da.... it looks like they have made upgrades and improvements... they've upgraded their design
Upgrades my ass... they didn't change anything about how it works, they just made it look like it's running on an iPhone — like every other "modern" Web site in the world.

The map is still messy, the list of results is below the map where you can't see it without scrolling, and it doesn't redo the search in the current viewport unless you re-open the search panel, find the "viewport" switch, and click "search" again every time.