Best Place to Share GPS Tracks

Cartography, maps, navigation, GPS and more.
Koda

Re: Best Place to Share GPS Tracks

Post by Koda » November 18th, 2015, 5:20 pm

adamschneider wrote:Upgrades my ass... they didn't change anything about how it works...
lol, Ok Ok I will take your word for it. :P I havent used it in years and was just noting their main page said they "upgraded it". The only thing I never liked about it was the poor quality topo maps they use when so many others are available free
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

vibramhead

Post by vibramhead » November 18th, 2015, 6:14 pm

Peder wrote:I like Wikiloc, especially for finding trails outside of the USA.

Ditto here. I used to post on GPSfly, but Wikiloc has a far larger user base, and it's a pretty easy interface to use. I've also used gpsies to find some tracks overseas.
Time spent hiking will not be deducted from your life.

GPS tracks on Wikiloc.

Peabody

Post by Peabody » November 18th, 2015, 7:17 pm

Here's what I'd like to see in a website.......

1) Start with cool base maps and markup features, think Caltopo.
2) Include some rough tracks of trails, a starter set
3) Have members upload their GPS tracks, just the raw files, no clean-up, just upload.
4) Allow the starter set of trails to be slightly pushed and pulled by the tracks uploaded by members, given enough participation, the starter set of tracks would become very accurate.
5) Allow members to create and download custom routes based on this data.
6) For a social media aspect you could rank members based on distance uploaded, accuracy improved %, etc. etc.

OK, so who's gonna make this for me? :lol:
"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.”
― E.B. White

mjirving

Post by mjirving » November 18th, 2015, 7:52 pm

Here's a pro tip for the lack of search functionality on GPSFly (or any other website) Go to Google and type "searchterm site:gpsly.org" and it will search for that word only within that website. So if I wanted to find a track for Munra Point I'd type "munra site:gpsly.org" and BAM! It shows me direct links to all the Munra Point related tracks on the site. I use this all the time and it's great!

Mike (aka GoalTech)

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » November 18th, 2015, 11:16 pm

mjirving wrote:Here's a pro tip for the lack of search functionality on GPSFly (or any other website) Go to Google and type "searchterm site:gpsfly.org" and it will search for that word only within that website. So if I wanted to find a track for Munra Point I'd type "munra site:gpsfly.org" and BAM! It shows me direct links to all the Munra Point related tracks on the site. I use this all the time and it's great!
Yeah, that's a very useful (and little-known) Google feature. You can use it with any site, and you can include a subdirectory for a narrower search: https://www.google.com/search?q=site:or ... unra+Point

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » November 19th, 2015, 1:00 am

GPSies, the basic map on the index page seems to be the best way to search, I can't even figure out how to search for things locally using the extended search tools. That index page map is actually a decent product for quickly finding routes, however there is limited data. For instance there are just 2 tracks on Larch Mountain, 8 at Multnomah Falls.

Wikiloc, there are also only 2 tracks on Larch, 8 at MF too.

Everytrail has a decent selection, but still not the numbers I'm seeing on gpsfly. Their search function isn't great either.

What exactly is the deal with hosting GPX/KML/etc. files? Would it not be relatively easy to have a script that compresses them and then mirrors them on Amazon's servers? I have no idea what kind of bandwidth hosting zipped text files would take up, but I don't think the world's demands for them is that great.
Peabody wrote: 1) Start with cool base maps and markup features, think Caltopo.
2) Include some rough tracks of trails, a starter set
3) Have members upload their GPS tracks, just the raw files, no clean-up, just upload.
4) Allow the starter set of trails to be slightly pushed and pulled by the tracks uploaded by members, given enough participation, the starter set of tracks would become very accurate.
5) Allow members to create and download custom routes based on this data.
6) For a social media aspect you could rank members based on distance uploaded, accuracy improved %, etc. etc.
I like the idea of averaging out the GPS tracks, that's a good one. IMO each one should be reviewed before being put into the set. Anomalies will mess up averages and sometimes there are just bad tracks that shouldn't be used, such as switchbacks that loop on the track.

I use products derived from OSM and Graphhopper to do my route planning (Graphhopper maps directly or RideWithGPS, GPSies, GaiaGPS). Graphhopper is the supplier to I believe most routing applications based on OSM (outside Google actually getting used the most) and they seem to update their maps on the fastest schedule. The people who license Graphhopper update them whenever they feel like it.

I also spend a lot of time 'averaging' GPS tracks on OSM by hand. Comparing usually 4-6 tracks and making sure they all basically fit the trails.

P.S. I finally moved a portion of Angel's Rest and Horsetail Creek Trail to their proper locations Angel's was off about 90 meters and Horsetail was off almost 200 meters
- Michael

miah66

Post by miah66 » November 20th, 2015, 11:51 am

mjirving wrote:Here's a pro tip for the lack of search functionality on GPSFly (or any other website) Go to Google and type "searchterm site:gpsly.org" and it will search for that word only within that website. So if I wanted to find a track for Munra Point I'd type "munra site:gpsly.org" and BAM! It shows me direct links to all the Munra Point related tracks on the site. I use this all the time and it's great!

Mike (aka GoalTech)
Awesome Mike! Thanks! How do we sticky this tip? :)
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

johngo

Post by johngo » June 29th, 2016, 7:03 am

https://www.google.com/advanced_search

Put this as a tab at the top of your browser window, so you can do an advanced search more easily.

Mike, great tip!